• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A noob's view from a Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 and a Kowa Genisis 8.5x44. (3 Viewers)

I’m not trying to say anything, I said exactly what I said.
I guess I don't understand the context of what you're asking then, cuz you're responding to me agreeing with a washed out view with a question that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Trying to understand if the view is washed out because of glare or just washed out period. If I look toward the sunset with mine, I see a little bit of glare, but nothing dramatic, I’ve never seen anything through my pair of 12X42 like the mess you’re describing under any circumstance. I also had a pair of Genesis 10X44 a few years ago, they did handle CA extraordinarily well, but that’s where it ended for me. Everybody sees different things when it comes to optics, and that’s just fine, as long as you enjoy what you have, that’s all that counts.

The view for me was completely unusable in that scenario, it was particularly strong and bright sunlight that day.
I dropped the NLs to my side in disbelief of what I had seen.
Plenty of other reports of glare issues on this forum.
I will say The NL gave me a lot of joy too.

Probably mechanically a lemon for sure. We'll see how SONA repairs go.

Interesting you don't notice the CA. I understand it doesn't get everybody the same way, but man, CA has been glaringly obvious with Both the the NL and the EL I've tried. Slightly worse with the EL. And so far the best I've seen is the Kowa's. Although, I've only looked through maybe 6 different mid-high end bins.
I really haven't had a problem with CA. The only time I can invoke it is if I am wearing glasses (mine have some inherent CA off dead centre) and I have my eye in the wrong position. Even then it only starts well off centre. A quick move and it's gone for all intents and purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back