• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cetaceans, Goa (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Can anyone suggest an ID for these which were taken off Goa in c1998.

I was told at the time that two species are regular here, Pan-tropical Spotted being one, can't remember what the other was?

Attachments

• 1711972962222.jpg
    1711972962222.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 46
Looking at the distribution maps on Google, Indian Ocean should be rock-solid Short-finned Pilot Whale, so unless somebody knows better I should think you have.

John

I'm adding these photos just for comparison, because they clearly aren't the same species.

One morning in January 2015 I went onto the beach simply to use it as a convenient means to walk to some birdy habitat about a mile from our hotel (Candolim). Unusually, there was no ocean swell coming in and the sea was as flat as a millpond. No sunbathers or swimmers had arrived yet and a mark on the smooth surface just a few yards from the beach caught my eye. A group of about 5 or so Indo-Pacific Hump-backed Dolphins were feeding right in front of me.

Right place, right time.

Attachments

• Hump-backed-Dolphin-(1)-fbook.jpg
    Hump-backed-Dolphin-(1)-fbook.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Hump-backed-Dolphin-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Hump-backed-Dolphin-(5)-fbook.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back