• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Rhodos (1 Viewer)

robinho

Hello
Im going to Rhodos 18.06 (june) and I am wondering what I may see, and were to go?

Thanks for all help!
Robinho :hi:

Hi robinho
I was in Rhodes last October. Bird highlights included honey buzzard, black kite, lesser kestral, alpine swift, crag martin, blue rock thrush, montagus harrier, redstart, winchat and hooded crow. I was there on a family holiday and not particularly for birding so I am sure there is alot I missed. The Acropolis at Lindos, an unlikely birding place, was really good for alpine swifts. The acropolis is high on rocks overlooking the sea, a most spectacular place, and the alpine swifts were supurb there flying right around our heads, you could almost touch them. It was one of those magical birding moments for me. Another good place were the beaches in the southeast. It was sort of marshy getting there and there were loads of winchats and that is also where I saw the montagus harrier. I'm sure with more time I would have seen more. You are going in June so it will undoubtedly be different than Oct.
Have a good time.

Last edited:
robinho said:
Hello
Im going to Rhodos 18.06 (june) and I am wondering what I may see, and were to go?

Thanks for all help!
Robinho :hi:
Hi Robinho, Ti kanis?
I go to Pefkos on Rhodes every year. I would endorse what Joanne says.
In addition you should see swallows and watch for the jays mimicing the call of the crickets in the pine trees.
Towards the south of the island is best for the raptors in my experience.
You could also try the dam. It's a large man made reservoir where you should see little egrets.
You will have a great time on Rhodes I'm sure.
Yammas

Since I am a photographer, I'm of course hoping for some lovely pics. So my question is; Is there any special places that I just "must" visit?

I'm leaving sunday:)
Robinhoo

The town of Lindos and the Acropolis there are beautiful. Rhodes Old Town is very picturesque but probably very crowded in June. St Pauls Bay near Lindos is a very pretty beach/bay. Most of the island is pretty so you'll have ample subject matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back