• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weird evening bird behavior in my area! (1 Viewer)

Sierrameldrum

United States
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what these birds are doing. At first, I thought they were bats because they do this at evening time right before the sun sets and that is usually when I see bats out-and-about. But then I realized these are birds. Not sure what kind either, too dark to see exactly.

They all hang out together by the hundreds, sometimes what seems like thousands and they spin in circles in the air low to the ground. Are they eating insects? ]Weird bird behavior

Would love some clarity. Thank you!

What's your location? (Texas or Florida, I'd guess...) I can't quite see what type of birds these are but they do appear to be chasing insects.

Hi Sierrameldrum and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't think what birds they would be... most of the large flocks of birds have broken up into pairs for breeding, so I presume these are birds that nest in colonies. Unfortunately I can't view your video without being logged in.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello, thank you all for your responses. After going out today and studying their appearance, I found that they are Bank Swallows. We have thousands of them near us at the moment. We live right next to the Galveston Bay and we have bridges next us where the birds appear to be the most active. They fly in large groups near water to catch flying insects. It all makes sense now! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back