• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting UK in June End/Early July - Looking to photograph the Mandarin Duck (1 Viewer)

anujrawla

India
Hi Everyone,

I will be visiting the UK, specifically London and Newcastle for my son's graduation in late June and early July 2024.

After the graduation on the 28th of June, I have a few days to myself.

I am planning on going to the Farne Islands and have a day tour scheduled for the 2nd of July at RSPB Bempton Cliffs.

I would also love to photograph the Mandarin Ducks if possible.

Can anyone point in in the right direction/advise me as to where my chances of seeing them in late June/early July are brightest?

Would also be grateful for any advise on Farne Islands as well. Should I stay at Newcastle and drive down for the day or should I spend a night or two at Seahouses.

Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the forum.
I'll leave tips on seeing Mandarin to others to comment, but may be worth noting that they will be in eclipse at this time of year, looking rather dowdy and being secretive.
If you are headed to the Farnes you definitely want to stay a bit closer, it is over 1hr to Seahouses from Newcastle, and whilst it is a lovely city, you really don't want to miss out on the Northumbrian coast - one of the most beautiful in the UK. Seahouses/Bamburgh/Budle are all better locations and within easy reach of the harbour. There are a number tours, but really you want to try to visit Brownsman and Inner Farne. July may be getting a little late, so if you can go in June, you will be in for a treat.
Enjoy!

Hi anujrawla and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. As they're not a native species, I can't help too much on the Mandarin Ducks but you'd probably find them in the collection at St James's Park. I know there's some feral ones around Arundel in Sussex. However, wait for others to chime in.

As for a northerly base for the Farnes, I don't like staying in cities so I'd vote for anywhere north of Newcastle LOL but I'm sure Newcastle has lots to offer if you've not been there before. It is a bit of a distance from there to Seahouses, so you might want to go there at least the day before.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back