• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
January 25th 2023 - Went for a walk and ....
Good evening all, been a while. To be honest, not a lot has happened up on the hill here, the regulars are still visiting every day and they seem to be a little "spring like" at the moment, more Blue Tits than ever, more Great Tit activity and a flock of Long Tails pass through a couple of times a day, which is always a pleasure to see and photograph.
Long Tailed Tit on a branch small.jpg
My big news and reason for this post is a walk along the edge of Backwater reservoir this afternoon, a beautiful, cold afternoon. Lots of Fieldfares on the dam banks but not a lot at as we walked up the side of the water.
Met another couple coming back who said they'd seen absolutely nothing either. :(
Pleasantries passed, we turned and walked on when Jo said I hear a bird.
We both scanned around, looked up in the trees right next to us and there she was!
Crossbill female at Backwater Reservoir.jpg Crossbill female at Backwater Reservoir .jpg
Beautiful, posing in full sunshine for over a minute, plenty time for a few shots (40). One happy lad.
I glimpsed a male Crossbill once, many moons ago, way up at the tip of a tree near Findhorn.
I've always wondered when walking up here. A male didn't make an appearance and she flew off up the hill.
I couldn't help but think of that couple we'd met, both with binoculars, who'd just said "not a thing"

Oooh!!!! Nice.... I saw one um.... 20-odd years ago way up at the top car park (you won't remember, but there were thick pine trees there and a toilet block... all gone now.

It's nice to know they're still around.

Looks like there's about to be some heavy felling further up the next hill, currently laying a better road up there, more disturbance I guess. Hopefully they'll stay down nearer the water. Cheers @burnie 👍

February 25th 2023 - There's a thing, well, two actually.
Decided to take a wander along Backwater Reservoir this morning, many layers on, hats, gloves ...... forgot a scarf, bit chilly though. Drove there and parked up for the stroll, carrying both binoculars and cameras for a change. Took a path along the shoreline for a short while. then back onto the main track. A pair of Bullfinches sat up nicely for me but I missed them together, dammit. so, onward, along the road, I spotted someone standing looking up the bank and using binoculars and a camera :unsure: as I got closer, I asked what she was seeing and she pointed out a Crossbill sitting high in one of the trees, not too far back, eventually identified as female.
10:18 - watching and photographing the female Crossbill feeding and calling

20230225 - 1026  - female Crossbill at Backwater reservoir.jpg 20230225 - 1026  -  female Crossbill at Backwater reservoir - crop.jpg

10:27 - she finally flew off, not too far but in direct sunlight
Stood and chatted with Shaz from Arbroath for a while then went our separate ways. Not 50 yards on and I spotted another one, a similar distance from the track.
10:37 - watching and photographing a second female Crossbill in a tree
20230225 - 1037 - Crossbill female at Backwater reservoir.jpg
10:38 - looked at one of the shots - there were two female crossbills
20230225 - 1038 -  Two Crossbill females at Backwater reservoir.jpg

Called Shaz back, she got a few shots as well..
Walked on to the bench, spotted a pair of GSW and another female Crossbill.
Way too much excitement so, I headed back down the track, towards the car. Saw Siskin, Redpoll, Buzzard, a Kestrel and Coal, Blue and Great Tits so all in all, not a bad stroll.
Nearly Spring :unsure:🥰👍

Last edited:
Keep you eyes peeled up there towards the opposite end from the Dam, above the trees this time of year.
March 15th 2023 I've been up at Backwater reservoir a lot recently, mostly chasing Crossbills and getting VERY lucky, post to follow. Meanwhile, I took the new looking track last week, just to see where it goes and so on, nosey so'n'so ;) apart from a possible juvenile Buzzard way up a tree, I took a few scenic shots and edited one this morning. There's a big bird in it that I hadn't noticed at the time so.....
Is it a case of, small, far away, a Buzzard in the mi distance OR the elusive Eagle in the distance?
Lansdscape shot across Backwater reservoir showing snow capped hills and a distant bird

Last edited:
March 15th 2023 I've been up at Backwater reservoir a lot recently, mostly chasing Crossbills and getting VERY lucky, post to follow. Meanwhile, I took the new looking track last week, just to see where it goes and so on, nosey son's ;) apart from a possible juvenile Buzzard way a tree, I took a few scenic shots and edited one this morning. There's a big bird in it that I hadn't noticed at the time so.....
Is it a case of, small, far away, a Buzzard in the mi distance OR the elusive Eagle in the distance?
View attachment 1499728
Looks very long-winged and proportionally short-tailed...
MJB

LOL that can be the tricky part!!

I was up in the hills around Drumderg yesterday and didn't hear one, though was hoping to. Hoped, also, to find Wheatear and Stonechat, but nadda.

Loads of Skylarks and Meadow Pippits enjoying the mist, which made it difficult to see anything beyond the immediate environs of the road.

LOL that can be the tricky part!!

I was up in the hills around Drumderg yesterday and didn't hear one, though was hoping to. Hoped, also, to find Wheatear and Stonechat, but nadda.

Loads of Skylarks and Meadow Pippits enjoying the mist, which made it difficult to see anything beyond the immediate environs of the road.
I heard this bird? last year so this year I'm hoping to stalk it lol. Got my first Wheatear and Sedge Warblers on Sunday but up in Ardersier.

May 11th 2023 I was up at the reservoir again today, hadn't been up for a while, nor have I posted for a while :oops: but, this was a great day for me. Got some great Osprey shots, there were 1-4 up there during the walk but, heard a Cuckoo calling loudly or is it just so quiet up there? For the first time, that I know of, I spotted it up the bank between pines AND, got some photos, another first. OK, it was MILES away, 300 yds ish, but extra happy to get any at all.
Osprey overhead Cuckoo at Backwater Reservoir - First sight.jpg
I crept up the bank, between the pines, trying not to disturb it, aware of warblers nest building in some of the trees!
Eventually getting to the break and settling in for the looooooong wait.
Cuckoo at Backwater Reservoir - Creeping up that hill.jpg Cuckoo at Backwater Reservoir - Head cocked.jpg Cuckoo - Closest it got, teasing me.jpg
I've been checking through the many photos I took yesterday as I write this and just discovered I got a few shots of it in flight! Woohoo!
Cuckoo on the move.jpg Cucko almost missed the branch.jpg
Jeez, they're way more patient than I am, I eventually gave up and walked on.
Cuckko resting on a branch.jpg
Cuckoo on the lookout.jpg
During my vigil with the Cuckoo I glanced down at the deadwood in front of me and a Stoat popped out for a look, then slid away again. No time to move the camera :oops:
Looking back, the Cuckoo moved closer to my spot :mad: :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, Cuckoo overload.
I set off along the bank top, trying to keep an eye on everything, everywhere.
Osprey rising from the reservoir with a catch.jpg
Just caught an Osprey lifting from the reservoir with a catch before heading off West.
Willow Warbler among the pines.jpg
The area is awash with Warblers mostly Willow and all the usual suspects.
A Meadow Pipit sat high on a dead tree trunk for quite a while watching me.
Meadow Pipit high on a tree trunk.jpg
Also spotted something on the same tree as the Cuckoo, Pipits maybe?
Pair of Pipits? 2.jpg Pair of Pipits?.jpg
A Red Kite flew West with Crows mobbing it, then had a cruise round.
Red Kite incoming.jpg
One bird flew over, didn't have time to check it out until now, a Curlew, I here them on the hills opposite but never saw one here before.
A couple of Mistle Thrush were singing their hearts out at each end of my walk, this one with its eyes on the sky :unsure:
Mistle Thrush with eyes to the sky.jpg
All in all, a cracking walk, met some nice people, one of whom told me about the Newts I hadn't seen a Newt since I was a wee lad, I think, great to see three today.
Did I mention the Willow Warblers? I'd guess they currently outnumber the Chaffinches.
Willow Warbler taking flight.jpg
Even spotted a bit of advertising and sexual conduct!!!
Warbler display and the bug.jpg Warbler post-coital celebration.jpg
After-activity celebrations there!
No Crossbills, heard nor seen but you can't have everything right?
So, back at home, everyone is busy feeding by look of things. Both GSW have have just started coming into the garden to the suet after the male only for a while. The Swallows arrived this week, I think, the regulars are back at their nest sites. The local Cuckoo re-appeared at the beginning of the week, I am determined to stalk and photograph it this year :oops:, maybe.
A few Lapwing spotted on the farm along with Curlew heard.
There is a pair of Barn Owls in the barn oddly enough, yet to get a good sight of them.
There are a few Jays around but they're elusive beggars.
Just been for a walk in the Den o Alyth and photographed the Nuthatch pair nest building and a pair of Grey Wagtails feeding at a probable nest site.
So, apologies it's a long one, I don't get on often, I ought to but, generally just the same suspects around.

Cor!!! and Wow!!! Some terrific picture there!

I must get up to Backwater again soon, we keep talking about it, but other places keep calling too. It was just too cold the last time were were up there.

Keep reporting please Scoz!

May 15th 2023 All kitted up, cameras loaded ready for the reservoir, off I went. Got as far as the gate.
Swallow on DIY duty.jpg
Bit of nest repair needed it seems
Swallow on the gate watching me.jpg
Just sitting watching me, watching it.
Swallow on the gate.jpg
No Swifts seen yet.
Onwards for another 100yds or so....
Buzzard by the reed beds.jpg
Flew off the fence in front of me and settled to watch me drive by :love:
I did eventually get to the reservoir, more on that later.

May 12th 2023 It's Friday and there's a Cuckoo calling loudly across the field. I've scanned and scanned, nothing, so I grabbed the camera and big boy (Sigma 150-600mm) :) and took a random set of shots of the treeline opposite.
This morning I discovered those shots amongst many others .....
Terrible photos but, what do you think? Got the so'n'so? :ROFLMAO:
20230512 - Very distant Cuckoo.jpg
20230512 - Very distant Cuckoo cropped.jpg
20230512 - Very distant Cuckoo very cropped.jpg

Mmmm... I thought you had for a minute, but that white wing bar makes me think Wood Pigeon.

Hope I'm wrong... someone will be along to help though.

Mmmm... I thought you had for a minute, but that white wing bar makes me think Wood Pigeon.

Hope I'm wrong... someone will be along to help though.
Mmmmm, there's one more shot but just as bad. The pose lying on the branch made me wonder, hard to tell such poor shots :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back