• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
Tuesday September 6th 2022
Not a lot to report today, gie dreich day, P'ing down for most of it. I was up and about in the morning as usual and got a glimpse of a Tree Creeper outside the window, nice to see, had the camera ready but I think all the other bird activity scared it away, hopefully it's be back. It has to be said that the Tree Sparrows have really come on, from a couple seen now and again, there seem to be quite a few of them now. SO pleased, I came up here hoping to see one!! :)
Spent the rest of the day laid up in bed, some kind of bug??? Who knows these day?
Off to Ardersier later, going to join a thread or start one for everything up there.

Wednesday 7th September 2022
Ardersier cancelled so, who knows what might happen later? :) The Tree Creeper was back briefly this morning, hope it becomes a regular visitor.

Wednesday 7th September 2022 (cont.d)
Well, we both have fairly heavy colds now so not venturing far today. Don't you just hate the cold?
So we ventured over to Loch of Kinnordy yesterday afternoon, to get out for air and a wee walk. There was a fair amount of activity when we arrived, first visit so we went to the Marsh hide first, loads of birds on the water until a Buzzard drifted over.... nothing :( So, we walked to the Gullery and there were a few Gadwall right outside waiting to be photographed and a couple of other, more distant ducks that I'm not sure of, smaller, with brownish heads? Walked over to the East hide, nothing much to report from there.
The highlight of the day at home was of course the Tree Creeper deciding to show off for me, got a few photographs and a couple of videos. There are several hundred geese in the fields around us and I spotted a Kestrel perched on one of the distant bales, where the Buzzard has been lately.
I've labelled one image as Teal but?
As I type, the Tree Creeper is wandering around the tree, enjoying picking at the moss, it's definitely put out by all the others around. An adult Goldfinch showed up yesterday, with two young ones, I was surprised, seems late to me?

Attachments

• Cute Lapwing at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    Cute Lapwing at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Kestrel on a bale.jpg
    Kestrel on a bale.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Teal.jpg
    Teal.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Tree Creeper posing on the tree trunk.jpg
    Tree Creeper posing on the tree trunk.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Passing Cormorant at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    Passing Cormorant at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Gadwall male head on at Loch of Kinnordy - crop.jpg
    Gadwall male head on at Loch of Kinnordy - crop.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Gadwall male in sunlight at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    Gadwall male in sunlight at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • Gadwall pair at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    Gadwall pair at Loch of Kinnordy.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Goldfinch juvenile.jpg
    Goldfinch juvenile.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Saturday 10th September
Well, it's been a funny old day. Few days! Still feeling pretty rubbish but, got up, did chores and wandered across the field to look for the Whinchats and see what else might be around. So I was down in the dip, by the reed beds trying to get decent shots of the 'chats, they will not move closer, when I came over all nauseous and a bit sickly, it was roasting down there with no breeze so, packed up the gear and trudged back up the hill and home.
Jo took a test, she's been in bed for two days, I took a test, both positive! Dammit.
It really is a bad cold :oops:
That aside, I got some shots of the Whinchat, at full stretch for the lens so not great but also a really lovely female Reed Bunting, looking beautiful. There's another with a chat and a Whitethroat / Reed Warbler? Quite a few Pipits over the field, Swallows still hanging around and, in the garden, I just counted six Greenfinches of varying stages, many, many Siskin, Chaffinches and quite a few Tree Sparrows. No Hedge Sparrow or Tree Creeper today but, it looks like the Yellowhammers are checking out the long grass in the back garden, had one on the window sill right below me as I looked at at them :)

Attachments

• Reed Bunting (f).jpg
    Reed Bunting (f).jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 9
  • The last Starling? .jpg
    The last Starling? .jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Whinchat (f) on a stem .jpg
    Whinchat (f) on a stem .jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Whinchat (f) on a stem.jpg
    Whinchat (f) on a stem.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Whinchat (m)on a stem.jpg
    Whinchat (m)on a stem.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Whinchat and Whitethroat in the reed beds.jpg
    Whinchat and Whitethroat in the reed beds.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Whinchat on a stem.jpg
    Whinchat on a stem.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
"Last Starling"??? Don't believe it LOL

Sorry you're both feeling poorly - hope you soon get better lad.

Saturday September 24th 2022
Well, been a while! Not a lot has happened up the hill over the last couple of weeks, we've been in recovery mode so not really been anywhere. There are definitely more geese in the area, watch them fly from Lintrathen direction out over the fields, sometimes settling in these nearby, several hundred of them.
Greenfinch youngster 800.jpgYoung male on the fence 800.jpg
The usual suspects are all still here, still turning up at the feeders, nothing much changed there but, a couple of events and visitors.
The first was a noise heard by Jo early one morning, a high pitched screeching outside. Opening the curtains there was a Sparrowhawk sprawled over one of the GSW, looking up at Jo as if to say What!!!!????
I ran out and both birds left, in opposite directions. At least one GSW has been back since and, I've moved the feeder it uses so it is more protected by the tree.
The second event was our first visit by a Magpie. they almost ruled the garden in S Wales. This one looked pretty tatty and set about the suet with gusto but, as I watched and grabbed a few shots, it dropped to the ground, grabbed a young Chaffinch and set about it. I ran out, yet again and it flew off but, too late for the Chaffinch, sad to say. I've never actually seen a Magpie do that before and I hadn't noticed the finch on the ground next to the tree :(

The first Magpie.jpg
Not seen the Magpie since.

The Red Kite 'family' seem to have moved on, having prowled the fields for a week or two.

Driving to the bins a couple of days ago, I always try to have the camera with me, four birds flew over and landed on the other side of the field, looked kind of Thrushy so I grabbed a few shots, did some tidying up and added them here. Mistle Thrush family?
Mistle Thrush family  1000.jpg Mistle Thrush family 500.jpg
I'll keep my eyes peeled for them again.

As it was a lovely morning this morning, I upped and out to Backwater Reservoir, see what I could see. I enjoy a good walk, always carry a camera and now, binoculars but, my emphasis is still on the shot I might get, might have to change that. Find out what I'm about to capture before grabbing the shot?
The sun was shining and hardly a breath of wind down home but, up at the reservoir? Chilly breeze blowing down the glen but a beautiful morning still. The Cormorants were my first sighting up there, preening and drying off on the tower.
Cormorants on the water tower 1200.jpg 2 Cormorants - How big? 1200.jpg
Headed up the West shore for my walk, a pair of Red Kites were soaring over the hillside and a lone Kestrel appeared briefly, much lower and heading the other way.
Red Kite soaring over Backwater reservoir.jpg
A flock of geese flew overhead, way up, I couldn't pick out what they might have been and didn't grab a shot. See, there's that choice thing ;) Bins or camera?
Another bird of prey flew below me over the water side, I only saw sleek looking brown coloured wings and it was gone.
Not a lot of luck for me but, the Coal Tits were happy to show off among the pines so, plenty of decent shots of them :)
Caught this little beauty on the hop between branches.
Coal Tit on the hop 1200.jpg

Coal Tit through the branches.jpg Coal Tit on the cones.jpg
OK, only one more, I don't usually get to capture these wee guys that often.
Coal Tit staring down from the cones.jpg
I did see and watch something else, I think but they were way too quick for me, small, fast, yellow/green ish, didn't get any shots worth sharing so, I'll have to go back eh?
Just over three miles, only met five people and associated dogs and the sun, walking. back down the road was wonderful, only the Fly Agaric to grab a few shots of, they're fabulous looking fungi, lots of fungi around just now. Different walk, different lens :)
Fly Agaric at Backwater.jpg
Laid my phone next to this one to give a hint at the size of it, not far of side plate!
Classic Fly Agaric at Backwater.jpg
And finally, classic Fly Agaric.
I also saw a family of Swans across the other side, one Cygnet only, other than that, a quiet, peaceful walk in the sun. What more could I ask for?

Been VERY quiet up here this last few weeks but, this last week there appear to be a lot of Fieldfares? around, I haven't managed to photograph or view in detail yet and this morning, many hundreds of geese flew over, coming down from the glens, heading Dundee-ward. There were a few in the field behind but it was only after they'd left, I saw on a bad photo, they're probably Pink Footed? The Sparrow-hawk was hunting in the back field this morning, got a couple of really poor shots, obviously too early for my old eyes :)

Last edited:
Been VERY quiet up here this last few weeks but, this last week there appear to be a lot of Fieldfares? around, I haven't managed to photograph or view in detail yet and this morning, many hundreds of geese flew over, coming down from the glens, heading Dundee-ward. There were a few in the field behind but it was only after they'd left, I saw on a bad photo, they're probably Pink Footed? The Sparrow-hawk was hunting in the back field this morning, got a couple of really poor shots, obviously too early for my old eyes :)
I've been doing a fair bit of 'vis-migging' recently and haven't seen a single Fieldfare yet. There are however plenty of Mistle Thrushes moving just now, as well as a few Redwing and slightly more Song Thrushes. Pink Footed Geese do tend to be the 'default' goose locally. Barnacle Geese are also on the move (though they seem to appear out over the sea more often than not).

I've been doing a fair bit of 'vis-migging' recently and haven't seen a single Fieldfare yet. There are however plenty of Mistle Thrushes moving just now, as well as a few Redwing and slightly more Song Thrushes. Pink Footed Geese do tend to be the 'default' goose locally. Barnacle Geese are also on the move (though they seem to appear out over the sea more often than not).
Hmmmmmm :unsure: ok, vis-migging?😊😀

Good ol' Google (y)

Last edited:
Good morning, went out yesterday, with camera and got plenty shots of ...... yep, Mistle Thrush!!! LOADS of them! I never knew they gathered in such numbers, hence I thought, Fieldfares, well there you go. :)
I guess the other side to this post is, I saw them in the fields behind Errol, I'd gone looking for Bearded Tits / Reedlings and saw zero! Wasn't sure where might be best to see them but, I now know where they are at least.

October 14th 2022
Well, excitement on the hill! A quiet week bird-wise, a trip to Tay Reed beds produced a grand total of 0 Bearded Tits but, did reveal a really nice cafe in Errol, if you're ever down that way, drop in to the Lass o Gowrie, really nice home baked goods and good tea / coffee with warm, friendly service. It's a good walk to the reed beds, luckily the rain stopped long enough and I managed to get a few decent Mistle Thrush shots. Of course, auto correct like to call them Missile Thrush :(
Pair of Mistles near Errol.jpg Mistle Thrush watching me.jpg
The drive over from Coupar Angus was a first for us too, beautiful scenery and the potential for walks and spotting up there.
Back over the hill, I finally got a couple of shots of the flock of Redwing that has appeared in the top fields. Now I know what they are, I'll wander up there more often, the Kestrel seems to be hanging around the area a lot more. :unsure:
Redwing in the top field.jpg

There are a few / couple of Jay in the area but extremely elusive, a pair flew over on the same walk and I grabbed a quick shot of one.​

In passing.jpg

The Buzzards were out and about, studying the form from their allotted fence posts and I was intrigued to see a couple of smaller birds sitting next to one of them, keep your enemies closer?
Buzzard and little friends.jpg
A Pipit and Chaffinch?
Plenty Meadow Pipits around at the moment.

20221013 - Meadow Pipit in a trough.jpg

However, highlight of the week or, lowlight? 7 o'clock last night, chatting with the folks on WhatsApp I noticed something white outside on the far fencepost. Jo got up and wandered over the the patio doors, grabbed a pair of binocs, it's pitch dark by the way, it's a Barn owl, on our garden fence!!!! Grab the ..... damn, gone, still, lovely to see, maybe it'll be back.
But that's not all!
It's 09:30, time for a few night sky photos I think so, I head out with the tripod, camera all set up, pitch dark, freezing, just about set and a high pitched squeal emanates from the nearest barn, then continues out across the field. Tawny owl female? Certainly the closest sound I could find to what I heard.
I've been wondering about owls since we got here, there you go eh, all in one evening.
The night sky pics were no use either, no aurora or meteors ...... for now ;)
The rain has finally stopped and the big glowing orb has appeared, off to Drimmie woods, see what's to be seen :)
Stay safe and well (y)

The yellow on the breast of your small bird with the Buzzard suggests Yellowhammer as the most likely but it appears smaller than the Chaffinch, though that could be a result of the angles/posture/camera lens etc. Certainly don't get a Pipit 'feel' from it (the streaking has a much broader appearance than the thinner streaks on the Meadow Pipit in the photo below) and a Yellowhammer is pretty much all it can be given the strong yellow underside with streaking.
There a are a lot of Meadow Pipits migrating through at the moment and your Mistle Thrushes may well have been birds which I've photographed as they migrated over Riverside Nature Park a few miles to the east of Errol etc.

The yellow on the breast of your small bird with the Buzzard suggests Yellowhammer as the most likely but it appears smaller than the Chaffinch, though that could be a result of the angles/posture/camera lens etc. Certainly don't get a Pipit 'feel' from it (the streaking has a much broader appearance than the thinner streaks on the Meadow Pipit in the photo below) and a Yellowhammer is pretty much all it can be given the strong yellow underside with streaking.
There a are a lot of Meadow Pipits migrating through at the moment and your Mistle Thrushes may well have been birds which I've photographed as they migrated over Riverside Nature Park a few miles to the east of Errol etc.
Right enough @Stonefaction , there are a lot of them about right now, Yellowhammers and Meadow Pipits. (y)

October 20th 2022 - Good and bad news
Another dreich day up on the hill but, it is October after all. So, looking out at the throng this morning from my den window, I watched quite a gathering of birds on the ground foraging, Chaffinch, Tree Sparrow, Hedge Sparrow (1 of) Goldfinch, Greenfinch and a Brambling! What? of course, as I noticed, everything cleared off, dammit. Back to the pooter and carrying on editing with one eye out the window and ........ there it is again! Definitely a Brambling, a first for me in this area, I'd seen a few in S Wales. Loch of Lintrathen is probably less than a mile away, as the Crow flies and there are a lot of those here!
First Brambling in the garden .jpg First Brambling in the garden.jpg

A happy chap, I'd been hoping I might see one or two due the the proximity of the loch area and someone did see one up there earlier in the year? :unsure:

But I did say bad news too.

I spotted a Chaffinch yesterday with viral papilloma which I've now been reading up on but it can also affect Brambling! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back