• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acro Warbler - England (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for your thoughts on this acro warbler observed on the east coast of England in the last week. Based on the attached image (not mine) it has been ID'ed as both Reed and Marsh. I am hoping further images may be available later.

Attachments

• IMG_8308.JPG
    IMG_8308.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 250
Very limited what can be done with this pic - any others yet showing the wing better? Colour tone (lack of rufous tones) and habitat both slightly favour Marsh, but neither is even remotely definitive.

Very limited what can be done with this pic - any others yet showing the wing better? Colour tone (lack of rufous tones) and habitat both slightly favour Marsh, but neither is even remotely definitive.

Thanks Nutcracker - I'm waiting to see what is emailed to me.

A few more images now available

Attachments

• Warbler1.jpg
    Warbler1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Warbler2.jpg
    Warbler2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Warbler3.jpg
    Warbler3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Warbler4.jpg
    Warbler4.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 123
Bump! I'm not sure why nobody has responded.

I would go for Marsh Warbler myself. In addition to Nutcracker's points above, the underparts, in particular the belly, have a slight yellowish cast, the legs are brownish, the loral stripe is weak, the supercilium continues beyond the eye and forms a crescent over the eye (giving the impression of a half-eyering), the tertials are dark-centered with pale edges and there seems to be a fair primary projection - the tips are difficult to count but I reckon there are at least 7 in view. A pale bill with a dark ridge is supposed to be another ID point but I've seen quite a few Reed Warbler images showing the same feature.

I'd be interested to hear any other opinions.

Last edited:
Marsh as well. Short stubby bill, total lack of rufous tones, pale brown legs and pale feet, and certainly in picture 4, the pale fringes to the tertials. Just has that feel about it as well...
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back