• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waunafon Bog (1 Viewer)

oldgiteggy

A Valley Birder
Excellent place for short eared owls, snipe and very bemused horses. Stay in the car and the SEOs fly around and over you, quartering and dropping into the long grass after voles and mice. Wildlife programme standard images stay with you.

The first owl of the winter (well almost spring now) has been reported. Will be getting up there rather soon!

luke said:
The first owl of the winter (well almost spring now) has been reported. Will be getting up there rather soon!

Can you clarify exactly where to find the bog and the bit where we can find the owls. We did go up about 3 weeks ago but weren't sure if we were in the right place. Are certain times of the year better than others for seeing them - and times of the day?

the road to watch them from is at SO2110, if you go on http://maps.google.co.uk/ then type in brynmawr you should be able to find Blaen-afon road which in between brynmawr and blaenavon. follow it until you come to you first left and thats the road.
Last year was excellent but this year due to the warmer temperatures the owls have backed off, but this report is rather encouraging!
Good luck.

ohh.. and the beast time to see them is aout an hour or so before dusk, so at present probably 4:30-5:00 in winter early spring, but bets to be there on the earlier side. theres also a good chance of something else such as a hen harrier or merlin passing through aswell

Last edited:
luke said:
ohh.. and the beast time to see them is aout an hour or so before dusk, so at present probably 4:30-5:00 in winter early spring, but bets to be there on the earlier side. theres also a good chance of something else such as a hen harrier or merlin passing through aswell

Thanks for the info Luke. We hope to pop over from Carms again soon and will post anything of interest .

Dryslwyn

there are plenty of other site in the area aswell, as the bog tends to only be worth a visit in the late afternoon early evening if the owls are actually in the area. have a look at the other sites listed particularly silent valley and garnlydan.

there are definatly owls at the site, i dont know how many yet though, calm dry evenings are best, same as last year.
EDIT: there has apparently been three about.

Last edited:
unfortunatly me and 'oldgiteggy' (another BF member) spent about 2-3 hours up there trying different spots in the area, but drew a complete blank! no raptor species what so ever only a few crows. will probably try again but am doubtful.

luke said:
unfortunatly me and 'oldgiteggy' (another BF member) spent about 2-3 hours up there trying different spots in the area, but drew a complete blank! no raptor species what so ever only a few crows. will probably try again but am doubtful.

Very nearly went. I suppose I,m gald we didn,t now! But will be in the area this month I hope. Went to llangorse lake , its a bit nearer, - the weather cheered up in the afternoon and I got some good photos. Fair amount of bird activity- lapwing, tufted ducks,coot,great crested grebe,canada geese, teal. The highlight for me was a number ( 15 - 20) of goldeneye. I always learn something new when out and about and this time it was the sound of the goldeneye as they they flew in - bit like a whiring sound- difficult to describe. Is it their call or sound of their wings.Do you know? Anyway I,ll recognise it next time.

All the best Dryslwyn

they seem to be appearing between 2 and 3pm but if its sunny (not that thats likely) they could be out later so worth waiting a little while. But if the weather is bad they might not show, calm clear days are great!

Got really good close views of the male hen harrier about 2.00pm. It was flying really low but didn't stay around for long. Two SEOs were hunting from around 2.30 til dusk. We had some excellent views- the light was really good.

Sadly i missed you by 5 mins!!! i popped in on the way home from work and got there just after 4:30! Glad you saw the owls and harrier. The harrier hasn't been seen since tuesday, so it good to know its still about. i really want a good photo of it! Later in the evening another owl appeared making it three at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back