• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreepers (1 Viewer)

Aly

United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to take my husband somewhere at end of May for long weekend, to find Wallcreepers. Anyone know a definite sighting please.?.🙏🤞London to Europe!

Would the nearest Airport be Sofia, then hire car! Please?
Trigrad gorge is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Sofia airport, closer to Plovdiv but i doubt there are many flights there from the UK.
There are hotels and restaurants in Trigrad and Devin etc.

The site for wallcreepers last year was the north end of the tunnel at 41.617388, 24.378354, i failed on my first attempt in the afternoon but was successful the following morning (a pair feeding on the cliffs on the east side of the gorge). The whole area is quite popular with tourists so early morning visits probably have less disturbance.

Note however that the road in from the north was impassible for cars due to partial collapse so i had to walk 2 miles uphill to the site both times. It was a pleasant walk however. Hopefully that won't be an issue this year but it is a slight risk if you are based in Trigrad as there is no alternative route out.

cheers,
James

Would the nearest Airport be Sofia, then hire car! Please?
Hi Aly,
We booked a hotel near the Gorge which was amazingly cheap, we hired a car in Greece and intended to drive up to Lake Kirkini and then onto the Bulgaria from there.
However when we picked the car up we were told that we were not allowed to take the car into Bulgaria and it was not insured.
We had to cancel the hotel booking, however we did drive up to the Bulgarian border did a little sneak visit into Macedonia, again we were not allowed to take the car out of Greece.
Lake Kirkini was well worth the visit anyway.

regards
Merlin

Hello and welcome to the forum! Some similar recent threads:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back