• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (22 Viewers)

I might have a “long” wait for Redpoll, as it’s getting quite late in the season however, Siskins have just turned up over the last couple of days…so who knows.👍

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Male Brambling has recently joined the regular throng though he prefers to feed from fallen seed rather than join the other finches - he does appear to look quizzingly at the feeder and made some clumsy attempts at landing on the feeder. The Siskins have now reached double figures, whilst the Blue and Great Tits are more interested in squabbling over a favoured nestbox than eating. Blackbirds still enjoying the apples ( courtesy of the reduced section at Morrisons ) along with a dainty daytime Wood Mouse but polished off by a male Muntjac - probably the one that kept me awake in the small hours......half past two for heavens sake to audibly patrol his territory.

Last edited:
With the new visitors and reappearances of GSW, parakeet, goldcrest and redpoll it got me thinking about the no show of long tail tits this winter. It's the first time I've not noticed them unless they have been very sneaky. I have missed them.

Looks like there's been a break in this thread, no surprise really given the weather we've been having eh? As of today the Siskins are rulling our feeders, there seems to be four pairs, which is great and they're feisty wee beggers, chasing off most birds that annoy them. A pair of Great Tits have both been coming in regularly this week, just been looking up their nest / rear periods. The Greenfinches came by a couple of weeks ago, I think two pairs which is less than last year but they may be feeding elsewhere of course, I'll wait until the young start dropping by. Lots of Goldfinches, very busy Tree and House Sparrows and a lot of Chaffinches. Blue Tits appear now and again, the Mistle Thrush seems to come by in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.

20240330 - Blue Tit hanging out.jpg 20240330 - Greenfinch pair on the feeder.jpg 20240402 - Great Tit in the rain.jpg 20240402 - Siskin female in the rain.jpg
20240403 - Greenfinch stretching up.jpg 20240409 - Chaffinch female on a branch.jpg 20240409 - Fed up House Sparrow.jpg 20240409 - Goldfinch and friend.jpg
20240409 - Mistle Thrush in the tree.jpg 20240409 - Tree Sparrow on a twig.jpg
Edit. - I forgot the woodpeckers!!! They've been pretty busy too, at least one pair feeding here the male looking a bit of a state, head feathers all over the place and chest filthy. There are a couple of males visiting, maybe another pair somewhere?

It’s been a lot quieter in the garden but have noticed Blue Tits back and forth to the log store busy building a nest, and a few Goldfinches and Greenfinches on the feeders. No Siskins anymore but Bramblings were here at start of week then realised yesterday my batteries were dead in one of my cameras which picks up most of the action in the day, so will be interesting to see what goes on today 👍

I have been here in Turkey for the last three weeks. Highlights upto now are a single Sombre Tit, Woodchat Shrike the rest have been the usual species, although not had the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker as yet.
Alpine Swift and Red-rumped swallow in good numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back