• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head recommendations for Leica Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

Recently bought my first 'decent' 'scope, a second-hand angled Leica APO Televid 77, and need to buy a good tripod to support it. As it's a popular scope, I wondered if folks here had suggestions as to tripod/head combinations which have worked well with the Televid 77 in the past.

I am 6'2" (188cm), and carry my scope around a lot when birding/travelling, so need something tall and portable, though don't mind carrying a little extra weight.

Browsing threads here it seems that Manfrotto/Gitzo products are the most popular responses for heavy scopes, although they're possibly a bit outside my budget (~£300).

The foot of my Televid has a hole for a 3/8 inch screw, another hole for what looks like a 1/4 inch screw, and a hole in between them for a security pin, about 3/8 inch in diameter.

I'm currently using a Celestron TrailSeeker tripod (TrailSeeker Tripod | Celestron), which is not very good. I enjoy how light the tripod is, but it is very sensitive to vibrations and difficult to use with the Televid in even medium-level wind. Additionally, although this is a problem with the plate, not the tripod per se, the scope is free to rotate about 15 degrees either direction around the 3/8 inch screw. I presume this is due to wear in the 3/8 inch screw hole on the foot of my Televid, but also I think a lot of this motion could be prevented if the security pin were larger (currently ~1/4 inch, should be 3/8 inch), or ideally by using a plate with both 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch screws to attach to the foot in both available screw holes.

Oh wow. I can try to help you.
Lets figure out this scope foot and adapter plate problem first. Can you post some photos of the screw hole on the scope foot? And the plate mounted to the scope foot?
I'll look around for a decent tripod in your price range. Is it £300 total for a tripod, head, and plate?

I'd probably go Manfrotto. I've had good experiences with them in the past. And there are options in your budget that should fit your needs nicely.
I'd probably go with this one:
£300≈$380, so this model sneaks in just under your budget.
The specs
22lb capacity is decent for your needs.
6.2 lbs is a little heavy, but is workable. Your price range is likely aluminum, so it is what it is.
67.7" Max height is perfect for you and your angled scope.
27.9" folded length is a little long, but is workable.
You could also do a ball head on a very similar tripod if you wanted to go that route. I'm more of a pan and tilt kind of user than a ball head user, but it's up to you.

Oh wow. I can try to help you.
Lets figure out this scope foot and adapter plate problem first. Can you post some photos of the screw hole on the scope foot? And the plate mounted to the scope foot?
I'll look around for a decent tripod in your price range. Is it £300 total for a tripod, head, and plate?
Picture of the scope foot and the plate off of the Celestron attached below.

Yeah £300 budget for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_201912.jpg
    IMG_20240404_201912.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
I'd probably go Manfrotto. I've had good experiences with them in the past. And there are options in your budget that should fit your needs nicely.
I'd probably go with this one:
£300≈$380, so this model sneaks in just under your budget.
The specs
22lb capacity is decent for your needs.
6.2 lbs is a little heavy, but is workable. Your price range is likely aluminum, so it is what it is.
67.7" Max height is perfect for you and your angled scope.
27.9" folded length is a little long, but is workable.
You could also do a ball head on a very similar tripod if you wanted to go that route. I'm more of a pan and tilt kind of user than a ball head user, but it's up to you.
Excellent, thank you! I'll have a look at it.

Picture of the scope foot and the plate off of the Celestron attached below.

Yeah £300 budget for everything.
It appears that your thread it worn to the extent whereby it no longer holds you scope in place - I'd advise having a larger hole drilled, and having an insert (steel) fitted. I had the same issue with a Televid many years ago, from memory, I think Gary at ECBR can sort this out for you. You may also want to think about avoiding using it mounted on a tripod until it is fixed!
You may find that the tripod is fine once your scope is fixed, but that head looks nasty (plastic?). £300 will get you a very good used set up, better value for money against new kit, and likely to last longer. I'd look at Manfrotto for a head, perhaps this or this, along with a decent set of carbon or similar legs, from Manfrotto or Gitzo.

It appears that your thread it worn to the extent whereby it no longer holds you scope in place - I'd advise having a larger hole drilled, and having an insert (steel) fitted. I had the same issue with a Televid many years ago, from memory, I think Gary at ECBR can sort this out for you. You may also want to think about avoiding using it mounted on a tripod until it is fixed!
You may find that the tripod is fine once your scope is fixed, but that head looks nasty (plastic?). £300 will get you a very good used set up, better value for money against new kit, and likely to last longer. I'd look at Manfrotto for a head, perhaps this or this, along with a decent set of carbon or similar legs, from Manfrotto or Gitzo.
Agreed. It looks to me like the threads are toast. What a fortuitous post to find someone who had the same problem with the same scope.
Sure. Used can be a great way to go. Good advice.

A very good argument for the use of a quick-release plate. There are probably some people out there, who screw their scopes onto the tripod head for each outing.

John

Excellent, thanks. Will send Gary an email.

And thanks for the tripod recc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back