• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Outback... (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
...so called, because it is out the back of our garden - and otherwise referred to as "The Grounds"3:)

Anyway, not exactly up with the larks, but this Bank Holiday Monday has been pleasantly warm round our end, so me and partnyorsha went for a stroll out back.

As we left the estate, we were already aware of a Blackbird and a few House Martins and Swifts.

Turning onto the waste ground, we were overflown by a Black-headed Gull, and the local flock of boisterous Starlings.

At the pond were some of usual suspects; today's selection Mute Swan, Coot and Mallard.

From the pond are a number of footpaths that take you through various clumps of trees, past fields and into the woods. There was a wide selection of birdsong, most of it unrecognisable to our ears, but including the unmistakable Chiffchaff - which remained heard but not seen.

The "best" bird in the wood was Whitethroat - which after waiting ahemty-cough years to positively id my first, I've now had three in 6 weeks!

The woods were also alive with the drumming of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one of which we finally managed to see flight, and the laugh of Green Woodpeckers, which, like the Chiifchaff, eluded our eyes.

Returning home we got impressive views of a Tree Pipit. (Members who have been reading my recent reports will know of the problems I had iding a "Pipit" at Bempton - but I am convinced this was Tree. Here goes... it was on a dead tree (!) standing and running erect, long legs, long tail, bold chest streaks and plain flanks! And located in scattered woodland.:t:)

Crossing the waste ground again back to home, we passed numerous Skylarks, that fill the skies with their song out the back of our garden.

Bird list follows (*=heard only)

Blackbird
Black-headed Gull
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff *
Coot
Feral Pigeon
Great Tit
Greater Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker *
House Martin
House Sparrow
Kestrel
Magpie
Mallard
Mute Swan
Pheasant *
Pied Wagtail
Robin
Skylark
Starling
Swift
Tree Pipit
Whitethroat
Woodpigeon
Yellowhammer *

Sounds a very rewarding trip out Birdman. After witnessing your ID skills at Bempton and in the ongoing quiz, I wouldn't doubt your ID of the Tree Pipit at all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, IanF - I hope it's deserved!

Hey Carlos - it's great, and I really appreciate how fortunate we are (both me and my good lady do). I must remember not to take it for granted!

nice outback birdman!!
nice list, not seen a yellowhammer for quite some time, getting
a bit like hens teeth round here!! who would doubt your i. d.
skills. sometimes we do take things for granted. bert
there can be no rainbow without a cloud and a storm.

The Outback

There would be noneof your list in what I know as The Outback!
Being an Aussie you can understand what I mean....give me some Chats or Grasswrens any day::

Hi Ruth,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

I think Birdman's title was rather 'tongue-in-cheek', really saying outback of his house ;) However I do hope that you are enjoying the site. What ypes of birds do you get in your garden or neighbourhood ?

I realised he was tongue in cheek but had to have my say. today I have seen..Galahs, bBlack-faced cCuckoo -shrikes, Willie Wagtails, Australian Magpie, Aust Magpie-larksand the Silvereyes have passed through...oops almost forgot the torresian Crows.

I'll take you round my outback (little "o") if you take me round yours!

At least round mine, you don't have to watch where you're standing (as long as you don't mind horse poo!).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back