• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts and Subspecies (1 Viewer)

Sally Conyne

I've been doing some work and some thinking regarding subspecies recently, so I've enjoyed the discussion here. Subspecies sure do encourage closer scrutiny in the lab and the field, don't they? I also enjoy the "work in progress" aspects of our knowledge as well as with the species itself.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about swifts and subspecies in general and then, specifically, about Glossy Swiftlet (Collocalia esculenta). This swift is listed as having 32 subspecies by current, major checklists; this is almost 3 times more than any other swift. These subspecies have been described by many different authors over 150+ years. It appears that the species is relatively range-restricted and the ssp. are basically island driven. This is surprising to me probably because I'm more familiar with the mobility of New World species. Do all swifts show extreme nest-site fidelity? I know the difficulty of studying many swift species - are many understudied? Is this one over-studied and over-split? In general, what are the bases for these ssp. distinctions? I'm not even sure that I know all of the right questions to ask here so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sally Conyne

Glossy Swiftlet

Although Glossy Swiftlet is largely sedentary, Chantler & Driessens 1995/2000 (Swifts) comments "It is likely that considerable integration occurs between races"; and Chantler 1999 (HBW5) suggests "Much of variation appears to be clinal".

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back