• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swan Attack - A Tragic indictment of conservations hypocrisy (1 Viewer)

Idle Valley Birder

An Idle Valley Birder
Appologies - Forgot to start new thread. So moved it. |=)|

Nice one Deseo.
I emailed our Member of parliament and representatives from Natural England, Notts. Wildlife Trust, Bassetlaw Council and Nottinghamshire Police.

John Mann MP has done more than should be expected to help with these dog issues in the Idle Valley and I thank him for that.

Nottinghamshire Police responded immediately and were very supportive of local peoples efforts to remove this curse of irresponsible dog walkers in the Idle Valley and the adjacent nature reserve.

The Wildlife trust eventually replied saying "measures are being discussed about dogs and hope to be in place shortly"
The phrase after the horse has bolted springs to mind.

No response from Natural England yet but I did not really expect one.
They have never been much interested in wildlife disturbance the past, despite being fully informed of the well documented dog issues on their SSSI Reserve, right next door to the killing field.

One of the parties named above deleted my email without even reading it but did reply and apologise, after I made a direct complaint.

I spoke to 'The Retford Times' yesterday who are doing a piece on this horrific dog attack.
Having been reserve manager and head warden of the 'Idle Valley Nature Reserve' for over 20 years and able to give an informed view of the disturbance caused by dogs in the Idle Valley, they kindly asked me to forward a statement.

I look forward to seeing if they will print it.

REGARDS.
DEL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Deseo.
I contacted ITV news who ran the story. Here it is....
http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/sto...y-dog-on-swan/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If were honest, we are all very much aware that dogs are being allowed to run wild (Off lead) both in and around nature reserves.

Irresponsible dog owners allowing this to happen is no surprise to anyone today. I know from experience that this is a real issue and a daily and well documented occurrence in the Idle Valley. So why is it being allowed it to continue?

No one locally was surprised at last weeks most recent and horrific mauling and subsequent death of a Mute Swan, by a dog on adjacent land to the Idle Valley NR.

IMHO folks it's time for a total ban on irresponsible dog owners on nature reserves.

Those charged with protecting nature are failing the wildlife we love to watch. Ordinary people need to put an end to this sort of thoughtless act. Before the next Swan gets mutilated!

I truly feel this incident is a tragic indictment of conservations hypocrisy - While protecting wildlife, we continue to allow the many irresponsible, ignorant and selfish to ruin it.

(See video link below) NB: It's not for the squeamish.

http://youtu.be/id6b-ER1-G8

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back