• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svbony sv 202 8x32 vs Opticron Adventurer t wp 8x32, which is better? (1 Viewer)

I have both (actually Celestron Ultima 8x32 same as Adventurer), they are not easy to compare as it really depends on what you are after?

The SV202 is a roof and is more likely to stand up to more rough treatment (its a solid build too).
The Adventure is a porro with a wider FoV, but I would be wary of getting as an 'only' bin that you might want to throw in a bag, on the floor of the car etc.

IMHO the SV202 does have a slightly more relaxed eyebox .... i.e. a little bit more forgiving for eye position/IPD adjustment, which makes it easier to use.
For me, they are similar if glasses are needed i.e. eye relief (this is dependant on each individual's facial features).

In reality, both these are good bins, it is down to preferences, which you might not yet know! If you don't, then the SV202 is probably a safer bet.

I have both (actually Celestron Ultima 8x32 same as Adventurer), they are not easy to compare as it really depends on what you are after?

The SV202 is a roof and is more likely to stand up to more rough treatment (its a solid build too).
The Adventure is a porro with a wider FoV, but I would be wary of getting as an 'only' bin that you might want to throw in a bag, on the floor of the car etc.

IMHO the SV202 does have a slightly more relaxed eyebox .... i.e. a little bit more forgiving for eye position/IPD adjustment, which makes it easier to use.
For me, they are similar if glasses are needed i.e. eye relief (this is dependant on each individual's facial features).

In reality, both these are good bins, it is down to preferences, which you might not yet know! If you don't, then the SV202 is probably a safer bet.
I always care of my binocular.:))
For me the optical performance is the most important thing, which binocular optical performance is better?

I always care of my binocular.:))
For me the optical performance is the most important thing, which binocular optical performance is better?
Optically .... about the same, I would say.

It is common to assert that porros 'traditionally' perform better than their price point. As the Adventurer is a bit cheaper than the SV202, this rule of thumb is valid in this case too.

The 'care for binoculars' ...... porros (especially inexpensive porros) are more likely to be knocked out of collimation than a roof, so be aware of this.

Good luck in your choice (y)

SV202 seems slightly more robust, Opticron has wider FoV. I prefer the Opticron. But I think you should consider the 8x42 version of the SV202 which seems to be the best of the bunch (8x32, 10x50, and 8x42) but I haven't tried it myself.

Anyone know anything about the Svbony SA205? It has field flatteners. Seems like too good to be true made in PRC binoculars. I’m wondering if cheaper binoculars will guarantee headaches after extended use. Happy New year!

Would a Chevy Vega, Chevette or Ford Pinto out last an old landrover?
Good point, but they might outlast a newer Rangerover. l advised a a former coworker that he would regret trading his Wrangler LJ in for a Rangerover, and unfortunately he ended up kicking himself many times afterwards.

Anyone know anything about the Svbony SA205? It has field flatteners. Seems like too good to be true made in PRC binoculars. I’m wondering if cheaper binoculars will guarantee headaches after extended use. Happy New year!
"Seems too good to be true..."

The SV202s are the only bins I know of anywhere near this price point that have magnesium body, phase coated prisms and dielectric reflective coatings, ED glass.....and .... the corresponding optics performance associated with this spec.

Most other bins are plastic body, plastic focus wheel, with silver reflectives ..... If lucky.... coupled with less good optical performance.

Regarding the FF SA205s ..... The only FF bins near this price that I am aware of are Celestron Regals (typically~£350) and Meade Masterclass Pros ( could be an Oberwerk Sport, but these are not available in the UK).

These new SA205s could be another standout bin ..... !

Last edited:
Good point, but they might outlast a newer Rangerover. l advised a a former coworker that he would regret trading his Wrangler LJ in for a Rangerover, and unfortunately he ended up kicking himself many times afterwards.
Our family grew up with a 9 passenger Land rover, just attached aluminum with rivets to damaged panels. (it was the only vehicle that did not rust in the tropical humid environment) When the original engine failed, a small block v8 was installed.
I do not know enough about the rangerover, just that it is much more expensive than I want to spend on a vehicle.

Our family grew up with a 9 passenger Land rover, just attached aluminum with rivets to damaged panels. (it was the only vehicle that did not rust in the tropical humid environment) When the original engine failed, a small block v8 was installed.
I do not know enough about the rangerover, just that it is much more expensive than I want to spend on a vehicle.
We had a Jeep Wagoneer that I
I can relate to that. We had an old Jeep Wagoneer that I had to rivet sheet metal to replace the rusted out floorboards. It was a great 4x4, and I wish I hadn’t sold it.

"Seems too good to be true..."

The SV202s are the only bins I know of anywhere near this price point that have magnesium body, phase coated prisms and dielectric reflective coatings, ED glass.....and .... the corresponding optics performance associated with this spec.

Most other bins are plastic body, plastic focus wheel, with silver reflectives ..... If lucky.... coupled with less good optical performance.

Regarding the FF SA305s ..... The only FF bins near this price that I am aware of are Celestron Regals (typically~£350) and Meade Masterclass Pros ( could be an Oberwerk Sport, but these are not available in the UK).

These new SA305s could be another standout bin ..... !
The Svbony Sv202’s have gotten some pretty positive comments and might be worth trying. Cheers!

SV202 seems slightly more robust, Opticron has wider FoV. I prefer the Opticron. But I think you should consider the 8x42 version of the SV202 which seems to be the best of the bunch (8x32, 10x50, and 8x42) but I haven't tried it myself.
The SV202 8x42 is an excellent value and I can recommend it. I bought a pair last October and they are better than my Bushnell Custom 7x35 bins (which have been my standard for optical quality). They have better contrast, they're a bit sharper, and have a slightly wider field of view than my Customs. I suspect the Svbony SA205 8x42 ED Flat-field binos are even better.

I concur with @exup and @Binocollector about the robustness of the SvBony compared to the Opticron. Out of the 3 Adventurer I've had in my hands (for myself, family and friends) two had or developed problems with alignment, in one case rendering them useless even after sending them in for service (and engaging in a fruitless back and forth exchange with Opticron, to no avail). So, if you can find the Sv202 for a similar price, I'd go for the Sv202, even if I really like the Adventurer. Maybe you can try your luck with the Celestron sibling of the Opticron. It is common knowledge that unit variability is a big thing the cheaper you go (you can have it even in expensive binoculars, but it's usually more controlled by proper QC), I'm under the impression that with the Adventurer the gamble is higher. On the other hand, Opticron would seem to offer a better warranty (but who knows). I think both the Adventurer and the Sv202 when found for good prices are true value miracles.

Last edited:
Before we start getting all misty-eyed about those old Jeeps and Land Rovers and go rushing out to buy ex military IF designs (the binocular equivalent), it might be worth having a think about what you actually want to do with it. If you need something to go on safari with for the next 20 years, sure. But if all you'll be doing is taking the kids to school and going down to the shops, a normal family car will do just fine.

I guess before buying the Adventurer (or anything else) the OP should have an idea how adventurous he intends to be. And test drive as much as possible. I am thinking about the great Top Gear episode featuring Romania now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back