• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South West Wales (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
OK peeps,

I'm going to SW Wales (Little Haven) in September, a part of the country I've never visited before, so I need your help on two things, please.

First, of course, where should I go to see the good stuff?

I suppose I'm banking on seeing Choughs, and I wouldn't mind a trip out to see the Red Kites, as I've never managed to see any of the English released birds!

Other than that, I don't know what to expect or lookout for, so I would be happy for any assistance. Also, I've never gone anywhere with the intention of stumbling across rarities - but Pembrokeshire in September - what are my chances?

Second, and a bit more mundane, I'd like some adivce on how to get there.

Travelling from Doncaster, I reckon I've got three options.

a) Big Mways and A Roads, until the M4 runs out on the way to Haverfordwest,
b) Cut across through Cheshire, and then take the very wiggly A483 from NE Wales until joining the A40 at Llandovery,
c) "Split the difference" and go Mways and A roads to Gloucester, and take the equally wiggly A40 from there.

Now, Motorways for me are a means to an end. They're like motoring lifts - you get on, you get off, you get there quick, but you don't see much on the way. I much prefer the "Scenic Route", but I wouldn't want to go by the scenic route, if it's gonna take me 10 hours.

So... I am at your mercy!

Thanks

Hi Birdman,

Personally I'd go for option B, with a slight diversion to Rhayader to see the red Kites at Gigrin Farm.

When I travel down to south Pembrokeshire from Dudley, I always take the scenic route - A456, B4362, A44, A481, joining the A483 at Builth Wells. It's a more direct route than M5, M50, M4 and there's hardly any traffic, so you can make good time.

The road from Builth to Llandovery is supposed to be very good for Red Kites, but I've never seen one.

I've never been down to Pembrokeshire as late as September, so I'm not sure what birds are about or how many. The breeding seabirds will have left but I don't know if any will be passing offshore. I'll try and read up on this when I get home tonight.

The Choughs should be around - I've seen them at lots of places along the coast from Dinas Head in the north right round to Stackpole Head in the south. The nearest to Little Haven that I've seen them was Wooltrack Point.

There's a report of one of my visits on my website:

http://www.thomas1976.freeserve.co.uk/solfach.htm

--
Andy

Thanks very much or that information, Andy.

That's exactly the kind of help I was hoping for.

When I get home tonight, I'll also take a look at your website.

Brilliant,

Thanks again :t: :t:

Just to add to Andy's comments about choughs. We spent a week in Pembrokeshire a few years ago. It was a walking holiday and we walked quite a stretch of the coast path - including around the area where you are going. I can honestly say that we saw numbers of chough every day - their wonderful cries were a great accompaniment to our walks. Also quite a few peregrine around.

Have a great time.

I will, of course, report back after the event with my "findings".

So, at the minute, it looks like the first show is...

Chough 4/6 fav
Peregrine 18/1
Red Kite 20/1 (That takes into account my "form")
"Rarity" 1000/1

Anyone care to add to this?

Birdman,

I've spent a lot of time in that area over the years - only recently into birding but three things I'd recommend you do:-

If the boats are still running (From Martin's Haven) spend a day on Skomer. Always lots of seabirds and the odd rarity too.

I don't think I have ever been to Wooltack point and not seen Choughs.

If they aren't firing, the footpath that runs along Castlmartin Artillery Range can be good too.

Oh yes, there are a couple of hides at Marloes Mere. I've never seen anything terribly unusual there but have had some great views of the short-eared owls hunting across the marsh. (These breed on Skomer too)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Denis

Birdman

And if you fish. Spinning for Mackeral from the rocks
below the viewing point at the left side of the bay can be good fun when the tides coming in!.

Well, Red Kites are my all-time favourite subject! I make it my life's work to see them, and I agree with Andy about visiting Gigrin Farm - this is where I've seen the most Red Kites altogether at once, and taken the best photos. At Gigrin you get to sit in the hides at feeding time, which are only metres away from where the Kites come and feed, and you will also definitely see them flying around at any time of day. Last time I visited (last September) we got over 100 Kites all in the air together at once,which is a sight to behold!

I hadn't seen any of the English-released birds either up until a month and a half ago. Whilst visiting family I spotted my first one, a few miles outside Otley in Yorkshire. Then about a week ago I was in the High Wycombe area, and saw a further six English birds there. You are just about guaranteed to see Kites if you travel along the M40 or surrounding roads, they are prolific there. In Wales, I have seen them in most counties, but most in Powys. I live close to the Brecon Beacons National Park (lots of Stonechats, Linnets, Redstarts, etc there), and you will often see them there.

Anyway, I'll leave my favourite subject now, as my sore throat is driving me mad and I want a drink!! =)

Hi Red Kite,
Another Red Kite fan! :t: The mountain at the back of Gigrin farm is worth a climb, as you can look down on the Kites circling when they feed them at 3pm, and as I'm sure you have found, everyone watches the crows, and the one or two buzzards and kites for half an hour, and then wander off, but if you hang in there, or in my case, if you can't bear to leave, the kites all turn up later.
Hi Birdman,
The top reservoir in the Elan Valley is worth a visit if you have time, we have watched Red Kites in their nest in an oak tree from there, and if you are interested in plants, there are sundews growing in the rock-face behind the little waterfall in the car park, always have been, anyway. :hippy:

Hi Birdman
The Deer park at Marloes penisular is the best place that I know for seeing chough very close, there is also a very good chance of getting Peregrine here too as well as Buzzard, Wheatear and Rock Pipit.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
Take the footpath out to The Anvil, the view across to Skomer is not bad either.
You could get the boat out to Skomer but most of the breeding seabirds will be gone, there is however a good chance of some interesting migrants going through.

Hi Geraldine,
I can never bear to leave either! I always wait around until there's no-one left, and watch the Kites for ages afterwards. You often find there are Ravens amongst the crows and Buzzards, and the odd Grey Heron at times. The Stonechats were present in huge numbers last year, they must've had a great year for raising young.

Birdman, it might be a little too south-east for you, but Pembrey Country Park in Pembrey near Llanelli is always worth a visit. The beach hosts lots of waders and gulls if you arrive before all the tourists, and the forests hold loads of other birds. Plus, there's the added attraction of WWT Llanelli nearby (National Wetlands Centre for Wales), where you can see Little Egrets in good numbers, plus regular rarities like Spoonbill.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back