• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South-west London birding (1 Viewer)

SW London birder

I thought I'd start an open thread covering birding in south west London. There are some great sites here, some of which get a lot of coverage (like the London Wetland Centre at Barnes) and others that should get more.

This also includes the area made famous by Mr Thing's blog (It's a Fulham Thing) and continues the story of the Shopping Trolley Coots and their roller (trolley) coaster ride to breeding success (or lack of it).

There's a related blog that tends to have a few more pictures (but also sometimes strays outside of south west London) here South west London Birding.

First Bittern of the winter at London Wetland Centre

The first Bittern of this winter arrived at the London Wetland Centre at the end of last week and has been seen on the Main Lake. I still find it amazing that this relatively small reedbed in the middle of London pulls in at least one Bittern every winter (with occasionally up to four).

A couple of pictures of the Bittern here: Barnes LWC Bittern

While this could be a UK breeder I guess the odds are that it's a Scandinavian or Baltic bird (I think the near-Continent birds that do turn up in the UK tend to be arrive on the back of bad weather). There was another increase in the UK population of booming males this year (87, up from 82 the previous year). I saw some interesting data on how widespread wintering Bitterns are in the UK compared to their breeding sites which are still highly localised. This is for the 2009/10 winter which was pretty severe (and therefore I'd expect that Bitterns probably turned up at a more sites than in milder winters). Distribution maps for 2009-2010 winters compared to breeding season distribution here.

Also an interesting article from Birdguides.

Numbers of other winter visitors have also increased with Wigeon up to around 16 at the weekend and now in the mid-20s, Shoveler up to around 70 birds.

Autumn hasn't finished yet though, with a Wheatear seen today and numbers of Chiffchaffs still moving through. A couple of Chiffchaff usually overwinter but the current numbers (over half a dozen) are higher than we get in winter.

Wigeon numbers increase at Barnes

Wigeon numbers at Barnes have been edging up over the last few weeks from only around ten at the start of the month to 15-20 mid month and now over 50. Winter's visible at Barnes in other ways too: Siskin in Waterlife and Fieldfare over the site.

South west London Birding

Being a regular at Barnes I thought I'd add a few comments.

There were 2 Bittern seen today at Barnes, both in flight from different areas of the main lake into the reedbed. One is a noticably pale plumaged individual.

Also a local pair of Peregrine giving great displays in flight and even both together on the ground to show the difference in size. The female is colour-ringed and is a Sussex bird (if I remember correctly).

No sign today of last week's 2 Jack Snipe but they were probably just in hiding due to the Peregrines.

Several Cetti's (at least 4) still calling in various locations around the reserve.

Hi Honey and SW (what are your names ? )

can you give us a shout if Common Redpoll gets pinned down at the Wetland Centre, I note the first of the autumn/second winter period was reported there yesterday. I made several visits in the early months of the year when they were being reported regularly but could never find one.

Cheers

Johnny

Barnes WWT Peregrines

Managed to get a few usable shots of the Peregrines hunting over Barnes yesterday (Sat 22nd). One attached here and some others on the SW London blog.

In addition to the birds in HoneyM's post: a couple of Mipits, Teal numbers up to around 90 and a female Sprawk over the Reservoir Lagoon being mobbed by Magpies (but no sign of the previous day's Goosander).

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_9314.JPG
    IMG_9314.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Hi Johnny
More than happy to give you a heads up on Common Redpoll (or anything else) it it's in Surrey. Didn't realise one had been picked up at Barnes on Saturday. Last year Common took me about five or six goes to see - I assume any birds typically use the Wetland Centre, Barnes Common and surrounding areas so are not always on site.

I should probably have thought of the White fronts as possible Beddington flyovers and given you a bell. At most I find one decent bird at Barnes a year (eg 2009: Spotted Crake; 2008: FA; 2007: Little Tern) so White fronts are probably about as good as it's going to get for me this year (although I guess that there must have been half a dozen independent 'finds'; for the WFG so maybe it hardly counts).

Good luck with the year list.
Cheers
Matt

Seen Sunday 31st October at Barnes WWT, 1 x Sparrowhawk, flew over the lakes and landed in a tree at the northeast corner of the lake. Bittern x 2 at the lake at north side. One was seen with head up above the reeds, out to the left of I believe the Dulverton hide, neck extended for several minutes.

Several Snipe, no sign of the Jack Snipe.

Peregrine seen on the hospital sheltering from the rain.

obm

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct in thinking that a 1 year pass to the London Wetlands Centre is £35? if so would a beginner find it useful as opposed to say going to Hampstead Heath (free)
Cheers

Indio

Hi Johnny
More than happy to give you a heads up on Common Redpoll (or anything else) it it's in Surrey. Didn't realise one had been picked up at Barnes on Saturday. Last year Common took me about five or six goes to see - I assume any birds typically use the Wetland Centre, Barnes Common and surrounding areas so are not always on site.

I should probably have thought of the White fronts as possible Beddington flyovers and given you a bell. At most I find one decent bird at Barnes a year (eg 2009: Spotted Crake; 2008: FA; 2007: Little Tern) so White fronts are probably about as good as it's going to get for me this year (although I guess that there must have been half a dozen independent 'finds'; for the WFG so maybe it hardly counts).

Good luck with the year list.
Cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt, dipped the two Bearded Tit at Barnes today (story on my blog). Nice to hear that you've found the odd good bird at Barnes and in time you should turn up more. If you happen to bump into anything I need for my year list, I'd appreciate a call or text. Is there any sort of grapevine at Barnes ? At Beddington, when anything is found, all the regulars are alerted (and then Surrey/London birders, should it be that good)

Cheers

Johnny

Am I correct in thinking that a 1 year pass to the London Wetlands Centre is £35? if so would a beginner find it useful as opposed to say going to Hampstead Heath (free)
Cheers

Indio

Hi Indio, if you pay your membership and go regularly, I'd say the Wetlands Centre is best. There are guided tours and usually someone around to help you with identifying birds. There are lots of good sites in London depending on where you live and how mobile you are. Look here:

http://londonbirders.wikia.com/wiki/London_Bird_Club_Wiki

and click on 'Localpatches'

Johnny

Beginner or not anyone would find the WWT at Barnes, or any other specific bird site so useful for many reasons.

Strolling about alone you may miss a bird that someone else is looking at, and may point out to you. When entering a hide anywhere, WWT Barnes is no exception, if you see bins and eyes and scopes all pointing in a certain direction a quietly whispered "what have you got"? will get an invariably equally whispered response of what is being looked at and where. And Barnes has volunteers and wardens on hand to give guidance, as we found when the Bittern was pointed out to us on entering a hide recently.

I have found very little optic brand snobbery in birders or while birding.

Generally, fellow birders have been among the the most affable people I have met. Most birders with more experience have been willing to share their knowledge and sights. And as you get more experienced and able to identify or spot birds so you will pass that knowledge on to others, hopefully.

It's your hobby, enjoy it.

obm

I see the two Bearded Tit have been seen again at the LWC. Anyone know where today ? I'm thinking they'll be hard to pin down unless they settle in a specific area.

Johnny

I am in SW London for the next three weeks and have done a little bit of research on where to bird in this area. I have already gained access to Island Barn yesterday and would now like to visit the following areas:

Beddington SF
Papercourt GP
Walton Res
Tices Meadows
Staines Res

Firstly, are these areas within striking distance of Clapham and secondly are they all accessible? First day's birding in Surrey bodes well with Red-necked Grebe, Spot Red and RB Merganser and looking forward to two more weekend's worth of birding 'down south'.

Any advice appreciated.

Jim

I am in SW London for the next three weeks and have done a little bit of research on where to bird in this area. I have already gained access to Island Barn yesterday and would now like to visit the following areas:

Beddington SF
Papercourt GP
Walton Res
Tices Meadows
Staines Res

Firstly, are these areas within striking distance of Clapham and secondly are they all accessible? First day's birding in Surrey bodes well with Red-necked Grebe, Spot Red and RB Merganser and looking forward to two more weekend's worth of birding 'down south'.

Any advice appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

expat birder from the right side of the Pennines! Welcome down south. Others on this thread are best placed to advise on other locations but Tice's Meadow directions are below:

The entrance to Tice's Meadow is between Aldershot and Badshot Lea village along the B3208 Badshot Lea Road/Lower Farnham Road. Park on the road near the Badshot Lea Garage (now closed down). Walk through the metal gate opposite. To view the flooded workings follow the path to the right and go up the bund. Check the meadow from here. From the end of the bund you can view the flooded workings and the silt ponds.

You don't say whether you have a car but if you come by train you're best off alighting at Aldershot and getting the number 14 Bus to Lower Farnham Rd. Get off at the One Shop. Barnes WWT is local to you if you are in Clapham; I was there today and found Cetti's Warbler, Water Pipit and Jack Snipe but dipped on a Beaded Tit which one birder saw. Thursley Common is worth looking at if you have car access. PM me and I'll meet up if you are going to Tice's.

Rich

Last edited:
I see the two Bearded Tit have been seen again at the LWC. Anyone know where today ? I'm thinking they'll be hard to pin down unless they settle in a specific area.

Johnny

Johnny, the pair have split according to sources with the male in the Wildside and the female around the WWT hide. Staked the latter for a hour this morning but to no avail. The female had been seen this morning and yesterday according to one birder and on site staff.

Rich

Jim,

expat birder from the right side of the Pennines! Welcome down south. Others on this thread are best placed to advise on other locations but Tice's Meadow directions are below:

The entrance to Tice's Meadow is between Aldershot and Badshot Lea village along the B3208 Badshot Lea Road/Lower Farnham Road. Park on the road near the Badshot Lea Garage (now closed down). Walk through the metal gate opposite. To view the flooded workings follow the path to the right and go up the bund. Check the meadow from here. From the end of the bund you can view the flooded workings and the silt ponds.

You don't say whether you have a car but if you come by train you're best off alighting at Aldershot and getting the number 14 Bus to Lower Farnham Rd. Get off at the One Shop. Barnes WWT is local to you if you are in Clapham; I was there today and found Cetti's Warbler, Water Pipit and Jack Snipe but dipped on a Beaded Tit which one birder saw. Thursley Common is worth looking at if you have car access. PM me and I'll meet up if you are going to Tice's.

Rich

Richard,

thanks you. I lost my hire car yesterday; my company won't pay for three weeks. Using Public Transport from now onwards. PM sent.

Jim

Last edited:
Johnny, the pair have split according to sources with the male in the Wildside and the female around the WWT hide. Staked the latter for a hour this morning but to no avail. The female had been seen this morning and yesterday according to one birder and on site staff.

Rich

No worries Richard, had two at Beddington today

Johnny

Beddington SF
Papercourt GP
Walton Res
Tices Meadows
Staines Res

Any advice appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Beddington is right next to Hackbridge Railway Station so is easily reachable. Give me a ring if you're thinking of coming down. Contact details etc on my website below

Johnny

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back