• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sei whale Scotland (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I haven't really followed the details but there's been several sighting of Sei whale in Scotland recently and I know it has been seen and Kinghorn today. What I don't know is how well it's be showing. Anyone got any better details?

Sometimes exceptionally well but ranges quite widely. Today it seems to have been off Kinghorn for much of the day - when we decided not to go! Forth Marine Mammals on FB is good for details.

Rob

On identification, bearing in mind the Grey Whale in Italy that fundamentally drops the hammer on exclusion of cetacean species by range, has Bryde's Whale (or its component species) been positively eliminated? I assume Fin Whale is excluded by no pale jaw.

It's just that the dorsal fin didn't on the video look as distinctive as I expected.....

John

Is this animal considered to be healthy, is it likely to refind the open sea?
More often than not, it is in the open sea off Kinghorn, whether or not it's healthy I don't know although it seems to be doing OK, (caveat, I haven't been but have followed the messages on Messenger & FB).

It was showing off Kinghorn at 12 yesterday. I haven't seen any news either way for today. It does sound like it can be a struggle to see even when it's there. I think I probably won't be making the long journey up but good luck to anyone who goes.

I got to see it on Monday 19th July from Kinghorn. Flat calm sea but didn't spot it for 2 hours when it suddenly popped up east of Inchkeith heading east.
There was no blow to be seen and we only saw it 3 more times, probably less than 5 seconds each sighting!
Really hard work as it was not feeding. It does often feed quite close to shore so good views can be had if you are lucky.

2 beaked whales and striped Dolphins also videos in the forth in the past few days

I was going to try for the Sei tomorrow as I’m only an hour south but no sightings reported for 2-3 days and the forecast doesn’t look great(might be abit choppy)

Quite a few people are not reporting their sightings due to the fact that as soon as they are posted then various boats rush to the site!
The last report I heard of was from St Andrews Bay a couple of days ago.

Quite a few people are not reporting their sightings due to the fact that as soon as they are posted then various boats rush to the site!
The last report I heard of was from St Andrews Bay a couple of days ago.
I wish I had known. Could have got Sei Whale and Spotted Dolphin on my uk list on the same morning

although I had a Sei off Filey Brigg in August 2013 when there was a large plankton bloom off their and there were tens of thousands of Sea birds feeding & around a dozen minke whales present for 2 weeks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back