• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Helios Starfield 2 x 40 Galilean Binocular. (1 Viewer)

Nice one Neil, another fascinating review of an instrument the type of which I never knew existed! Its good that these niche optics are aired more widely by someone who knows what they're talking about and puts it across in easily digestible terms - thanks.

RB

Many thanks RB!

I was slow to embrace these devices but the Helios model works very well for ultra-wide angle viewing.

Kind regards,

Neil.

Excellent and enjoyable review, they do look like they could be a lot of fun and for all kinds of situations.
Regards

Thanks Elpha8888!

Yes indeed! I think these small, low power Galilean binoculars offer a unique experience, either by day or by night. I took a punt on the Helios Starfield 2x 40 because the price was very good. I'm glad I did!

With best wishes,

Neil.

Thanks Elpha8888!

Yes indeed! I think these small, low power Galilean binoculars offer a unique experience, either by day or by night. I took a punt on the Helios Starfield 2x 40 because the price was very good. I'm glad I did!

With best wishes,

Neil.
Hi Neil, just a thought but do you think these would be suitable for a child to enjoy? I have a young son who likes to look through my Swarovski but I'm thinking these may be a lot more fun for him if they are easy on the eyes and lightweight, I'm going to order a pair anyway 🙂
Many thanks

Hello again,

I can't think of a better binocular for youngsters to learn the constellations with. They stand out very clearly, as if you 're looking at a star map. And for daytime use, they give a good boost in both contrast and resolution without overwhelming the senses. One thing you need to watch for with smaller people is the IPD range, which is 56-72mm with the Helios Starfield 2 x 40. There is a little bit more wiggle room in lower light conditions owing to a child's larger exit pupil which makes it slightly easier to centre the eyes and merge both images. But I would say go for it! If they don't work out, you can always return them.

With best wishes,

Neil.

Hello Everyone,

Please find a link to my latest review of the Helios Starfield 2 x 40 Galilean binocular:

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil.
Hello Everyone,

Please find a link to my latest review of the Helios Starfield 2 x 40 Galilean binocular:

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil.
Very nice review! Does this work for those who wear glasses? Apparently, the Vixen is good, but not for glasses wearers. And there is, also, Orion 2 x 54 in this category. Any thoughts on them?

Very nice review! Does this work for those who wear glasses? Apparently, the Vixen is good, but not for glasses wearers. And there is, also, Orion 2 x 54 in this category. Any thoughts on them?
The Orion (which I own) will work way better with glasses. Those types of binos don't have a classical eye relief basically. The closer to the lense, the larger the FoV. But the 2x54 has such a large FoV that it will still work with glasses.
For these devices the rule of thumb is -- the larger the front lense, the better.
Also, the 2x54 is sharper at the edge of the FoV.

The Orion (which I own) will work way better with glasses. Those types of binos don't have a classical eye relief basically. The closer to the lense, the larger the FoV. But the 2x54 has such a large FoV that it will still work with glasses.
For these devices the rule of thumb is -- the larger the front lense, the better.
Also, the 2x54 is sharper at the edge of the FoV.
Thank you so much! Now off to purchase something I didn't realize I needed:)

Thank you so much! Now off to purchase something I didn't realize I needed:)
They are great. If I could have just two binos for astronomy, it would be this one and a 7x50.
They are also great for watching fireworks on new years' eve. Or general scenery observations. Basically like "bionic eyes".

Hello arm613,

My apologies for the delay in getting back. Thanks for the feedback!

I see Philipp chimed in to help with that. He's a true evangelist for the hobby!

For the Helios model you'll definitely see more field without glasses, but if you can't quite get there, a capable optician might be able to add corrective optics to compensate.

Hope you enjoy them! Like Philipp said, they definitely add a new dimension to both terrestrial and celestial viewing.

All the best,

Neil.

Hello arm613,

My apologies for the delay in getting back. Thanks for the feedback!

I see Philipp chimed in to help with that. He's a true evangelist for the hobby!

For the Helios model you'll definitely see more field without glasses, but if you can't quite get there, a capable optician might be able to add corrective optics to compensate.

Hope you enjoy them! Like Philipp said, they definitely add a new dimension to both terrestrial and celestial viewing.

All the best,

Neil.
Thank you. Arriving on Wednesday. Looking forward to clear skies and rolling out the bionic vision!
P.S. My late brother was an internationally known physicist in the field of optics -- and I started in mathematical physics before slipping into becoming a statistician and health sciences researcher -- so I do tend to get very excited by optical aspect of various binoculars and telescopes. Galileo, Galileo magnifico!

F3EA4C3F-7C8B-40A9-8CB8-760E2727A18F.jpeg
You can 3D print your own super wide fields that accept Nikon TC-E2 Teleconverters. The teleconverters are readily available on eBay for around US $30 each, and the print files can be downloaded for free from Thingiverse here:

The optical quality is outstanding, but they are fixed focused at infinity and there is no provision to focus. Those who need corrective glasses for distance seeing will need to wear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back