• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pileated woodpecker vancouver island ?? (1 Viewer)

cafe birder

Supporter
I will be on vancouver island at ucluelet for a couple of days in early august as part of a family holiday. Having long wanted to see pileated woodpecker can anyone on here recommend a cast iron site near there. I may also take in a whale trip mainly in the hope of seeing fork tailed petrel? Is this a sensible option here at this time of year. I am not very experienced with ebird so cannot decide what my chances are.
regards Howard

Thanks. Had a look but could not see exactly where the bird was seen and noted it refferred to a sighting several years ago
I am hoping a BF member might happen to live on Vancouver Island

Hi. I don't live there any longer, and I wasn't a birder when I did, but I can use eBird. By the way, I use this in order to determine sites to visit when I travel outside of my knowledge range, though I understand it isn't as well used in Europe as here in North America.
Choose Explore Data/species maps/ enter species name and a location. I choose a slightly larger range as ebird is very particular on place names and sometimes data is stored by a region rather than say 'Ucluelet'. I chose Vancouver Island, let the purple squares populate, and then used the + button to narrow down to Ucluelet and Long Beach area. You can narrow down the date range for sightings, which I would do - perhaps choosing 2014-2017.
Seems sightings are limited, and more are further up the coast than Ucluelet itself. Ucluelet, though with woods around, is more rocky and shorelined than the forested trails and campgrounds of Long Beach and closer to Tofino. Of course, limited data may just be limited entry.
If you are going into Long Beach park area, I would also check with the rangers at the visitor's centre to ask who is a birder. They may be able to know.
I am sending you a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back