• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon Junco (Dark-eyed Junco) (1 Viewer)

Dami

United States
Last Sunday, we heard a Oregon Junco flying up at our windows , hitting it with his feet and wings. He'd go from window-to-window, flapping his wings and bumping it. He went all around the house doing this. Then he went next door to my neighbor's house and starting doing it there for an hour or so. Soon he came back to us. He started this behavior around noon and continued until dusk. Then he came back the next day and did it all over again. He added the behavior of sitting on the deck furniture by the windows calling. So, now it's Tuesday and he's back again. And he's still circling the house and bumping at the windows. We left the house today for several hours and he's still here.

Why the heck is he doing this? Any thoughts? All insights are welcome!

Hello and welcome to birdforum.

I think the Oregon junco is showing territorial behaviours because he can see his reflection and perceives it as a rival. So he's trying to "fight" and "chase off" the rival, and I'm guessing it's probably breeding season that triggers the junco's territorial tendencies. I recall reading that you can reduce the behaviour by putting visible stickers outside the windows or covering the windows with something, to break up the reflection.

That was one of my first thoughts, too, especially with it being spring, but this is the third day! Maybe the nest is nearby or something. Thanks for posting!

Birds don't stop defending their territory just because a day or two has gone by. Expect this to continue for weeks.

Today is the first day in two weeks we haven't had any window knocking. Pulling the blinds down has helped, but he still has found windows with no blinds and he knocks and will sit nearby and tweet. I fully expected the behavior to last at least through hatching and first flight.

Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back