• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (3 Viewers)

Attenborough 21/2/13

Hi - had a rather cold visit to Attenborough this morning in the rather optimistic and unfulfilled hope of seeing the Bitterns..

Male and female Red-Crested Pochard by the visitors centre, lovely view of a Bullfinch in the trees just round the corner by the bridge, plus more usual Goldeneye pair, Teal, 5 Egyptian Geese (they are too well fed here!)

For anyone visiting, workmen are resurfacing most of the car park, so parking is quite limited.

Michael

Attachments

• red-crested pochard.jpg
    red-crested pochard.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi- just to add to the dog debate, my daughter (a much better birdwatcher than me incidentally!) is really afraid of dogs due to some run-ins with uncontrolled ones over the years, but we find that despite the prominent notices there's still plenty of off-the-lead dogs at Attenborough which is really annoying and spoils her day enormously. A lot of dog owners really do not have a clue that other members of the public do not know what their dog is about to do when they see a random one coming at full lick down a path with the owner way back out of sight. The owner might know that the dog is tame but others don't, and often the dogs don't respond to owner's commands.

I really do thing that dogs on leads is a must for nature reserves both for the wildlife and those there to enjoy it.

Michael

Hi- just to add to the dog debate, my daughter (a much better birdwatcher than me incidentally!) is really afraid of dogs due to some run-ins with uncontrolled ones over the years, but we find that despite the prominent notices there's still plenty of off-the-lead dogs at Attenborough which is really annoying and spoils her day enormously. A lot of dog owners really do not have a clue that other members of the public do not know what their dog is about to do when they see a random one coming at full lick down a path with the owner way back out of sight. The owner might know that the dog is tame but others don't, and often the dogs don't respond to owner's commands.

I really do thing that dogs on leads is a must for nature reserves both for the wildlife and those there to enjoy it.

Michael

Totally agree Michael ... I originally come from Nottingham and get to Attenborough NR several times a year (will be there tomorrow, ahead of the mighty Notts County's match in the evening !) but always come across what you did.Shame, because it's a great place otherwise ... enjoyed by so many.

PS I see a Bittern was in front of the Tower Hide yesterday afternoon, according to the site's website ... not going to make you feel any better, but maybe worth another visit during this favourite Bittern weather.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

We're also from "out of town", my in laws live a mile or so down the road from Attenborough NR so we get to go there a few times each year. We're usually either at Wheldrake or Fairburn if we go birding or the Aire Valley.

thanks
Michael

Hi Andy,

We're also from "out of town", my in laws live a mile or so down the road from Attenborough NR so we get to go there a few times each year. We're usually either at Wheldrake or Fairburn if we go birding or the Aire Valley.

thanks
Michael

No Bittern during the time I spent there yesterday (mid-am to early-pm), but a Water Rail was skulking around the flattened area of reedbed in front of the Tower Hide. ... and a pair of Pintail were showing well from there too.

Then I went off to Gedling Pit Top, to see if any Short-eared Owl were still about. Two SEO appeared at 3.30pm and quartered the highest area for the next hour, concentrating on the fringes and the areas just below, before flying off after showing very well.

Enjoy Attenborough Michael next time you are there ... another Squacco Heron like last year would be nice !

Cheers

Andy R.

bittern flew between reedbeds on clifton pit this afternoon around 1.30. 1st i've seen there in 2 yrs. 14 snipe on the deck and c20 over on works pond too

I was down Attenborough NR today to check out my new Hawke Endurance ED scope and while I was there looking around the reed beds on Clifton Pond a crow flew into one of the reed beds flushing out two Bitterns, these flew up and then landed on the fence going around the reed bed.

It was a sunny day and they both sat on the fence in full view of 6 people inside the Tower Hide for a good ten minutes, just basking into the sun.

It was an awesome experience, and best view of Bitterns that I have ever had, and I have had a few.

Works Pit. If you're in a rush, park at Meadow Lane end and walk through that way.

Sam

Thanks Sam ... couldn't reply earlier as I have only just got back home (see below !)

As most other birders did too, I got to Attenborough after it had flown ... but hey ho, if birding was easy, we wouldn't do it.

I was always planning to go on to Netherfield Lagoons anyway, but thoughts of "could "Spoony" have called in there for an hour or two were also dashed, as were any thoughts of those Black Redstart still being there when I arrived.

But you mentioning Meadow Lane in Attenborough (which is where I actually parked this morning) sets me up to say THE Meadow Lane was rocking this
afternoon, as I watched the mighty Notts County annihilate Colchester, even playing our youth team !

Either way, thanks for your response, especially as I think I remember you also being a Notts fan.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Sam ... couldn't reply earlier as I have only just got back home (see below !)

As most other birders did too, I got to Attenborough after it had flown ... but hey ho, if birding was easy, we wouldn't do it.

I was always planning to go on to Netherfield Lagoons anyway, but thoughts of "could "Spoony" have called in there for an hour or two were also dashed, as were any thoughts of those Black Redstart still being there when I arrived.

But you mentioning Meadow Lane in Attenborough (which is where I actually parked this morning) sets me up to say THE Meadow Lane was rocking this
afternoon, as I watched the mighty Notts County annihilate Colchester, even playing our youth team !

Either way, thanks for your response, especially as I think I remember you also being a Notts fan.

Cheers

Andy

Arrived slightly too late myself too. You're right about my being a Notts fan. Not had much to celebrate this season so watching the young 'uns impress wasn't too bad! B :)

Sam

Dotterel - Gringley Carr

Hi All

For anyone interested, two of the Gringley Carr Dotterel were still showing yesterday, when I made my first visit there.

Many of you may know the site, but if not, then a mile or so out of the village of Gringley-on-the-Hill, along Carr Lane, they were feeding in the very large pea field on the right hand side, at the far end of which is a clearly visible barn with blue doors.

A scope is essential, as is the ability to use it in very strong winds, as about ten or so other birders and I found out. There is some respite from a small hedgerow on the other side of the road however ... or you can tamely sit in your car and hope the birds pass across or along your particular furrows ! We all used a mixture of the two... and from my car, I managed this mediocre digiscoped record-shot. But hey, it was a life-tick after all !

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 79
Attenborough

Spent the day at Attenborough on Saturday wasn't as busy as I was expecting being fine weather and a bank holiday.

From the foot bridge to the visitor centre a couple of very showy Reed Warbler were showing along with a Coot with fairly well grown chicks.

Along the path towards the King Fisher hide there were quite a few Garden Warbler along with one bird being quite bold and out in the open. A few Sedge Warbler were also noted along with a Cetti's Warbler.

Down by the Tower Hide a Little Egret was in the Wheatear Field, plenty of Common Terns were flying around over head.
Another Cetti's Warbler was seen just beyond the Cetti's Warbler allowing for a quick record shot to be got.

Shots from the day are on my blog.

Tim.

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me an easy(for walking) place for Nightjars. I'm not too good on my feet and find walking difficult.
Thanks Trudge

Originally thought to be an Icterine Warbler but now re-identified as a Melodious Warbler.

At Tiln GP
Male still singing and showing well near the River Idle mid-morning; from the sharp bend on Tiln Lane, go through the large double gates and follow the track southwest for 0.75 miles to the trees c.50m beyond the wooden gate SK698837.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back