• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG 8x30 dissection (1 Viewer)

Yes the ink is flowing alright. Owner of an 8x42 since 2017, and used often.
I bought the 8x42 in Dec.2020 . The first six months of use had me a bit on the fence , wasn't sure if they were a good fit for me , I still had the E2's haunting me after selling them . Fast forward to the present and I can confidently say that the love affair with my MHG's should continue for many more years .

Attachments

• DSC01010 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01010 (Medium).JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 11
No arguments at all, we’re just discussing perceived differences, that’s what it’s all about 👊🏻✌🏼. It’s a unique company in that it’s American (San Diego based) with Japanese components and a separate QC Department in Lander, Wyoming. Same here, I’ve owned just about everything out there new and old and still have a few dozen of them. One of my hobbies is doing side by sides with a small group of observers to see if there is consensus. I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Where are Maven Binoculars Made? - Optics Whiz
Yes I know all about Msvens. I stopped in Lander this summer where they have every optic they make on display. Was impressed with all that I tried. Also believe they are a bargain because they sell direct to the consumer. I think the B series would all cost more with other companies. I’ve owned the B1.2 in 10x42 and would have kept them if the eyecups had been longer. Compared them directly to my HG 10x42s and they were right there with them. Build quality was again better than the HG. I’ve owned over fourty different glasses over the past five years. When I buy a pair I compare them side by side with my current pair. Yes we all have different eyes and opinions of them. I’ll stand by mine of the M7 8x30. When I bought them I was convinced they were defective because they were so horrible with glare. I sent them back for another pair. Same thing. I’ve owned the Vipers and they were mediocre. When they came out with the new version I compared two of them in a store. One had a focus wheel so tight I could barely turn it. The others wheel was decent but the hinge on it was very loose. Tight on the other. Very poor QC. That’s why I have such strong opinions on them and the M7s.

I respect your opinion though. We all see things differently. No argument

PS I’ve owned the M7 in 10x42 and it was much better than the 8x30s. Markedly better with glare but still was a weak point in my opinion. Glare is one of my pet peeves in a glass.

Yes I know all about Msvens. I stopped in Lander this summer where they have every optic they make on display. Was impressed with all that I tried. Also believe they are a bargain because they sell direct to the consumer. I think the B series would all cost more with other companies. I’ve owned the B1.2 in 10x42 and would have kept them if the eyecups had been longer. Compared them directly to my HG 10x42s and they were right there with them. Build quality was again better than the HG. I’ve owned over fourty different glasses over the past five years. When I buy a pair I compare them side by side with my current pair. Yes we all have different eyes and opinions of them. I’ll stand by mine of the M7 8x30. When I bought them I was convinced they were defective because they were so horrible with glare. I sent them back for another pair. Same thing. I’ve owned the Vipers and they were mediocre. When they came out with the new version I compared two of them in a store. One had a focus wheel so tight I could barely turn it. The others wheel was decent but the hinge on it was very loose. Tight on the other. Very poor QC. That’s why I have such strong opinions on them and the M7s.

I respect your opinion though. We all see things differently. No argument

PS I’ve owned the M7 in 10x42 and it was much better than the 8x30s. Markedly better with glare but still was a weak point in my opinion. Glare is one of my pet peeves in a glass.
I hear you on the glare thing. I notice that some people are more sensitive to glare than just about any other characteristic, (or possible design shortfall), even more so than CA. I didn’t notice much glare in the MHG 30’s , my issue was more the eye box comfort. I’m lucky I’m not overly sensitive to glare, a funny thing is I have no real glare issues with some binos, 8x30 Habicht’s, some of the EL and NL’s that many have complained about. I actually see more veiling glare in Ultravids than the aforementioned examples. That being said my favorite small 30/32 is the Ultravid, followed by the EL.

I like the MHG’s more in the 42 , I actually like most binoculars in 42 more than 30/32. I just think the 42 does it all, and in many models the 42’s are more accommodating in most areas. That being said I feel the 30/32’s do everything the same as the 42’s , just 10%+/- less of the time.

If you have owned over 40 bins over 5 years, and you are in praise of maven, why own a Nikon? just buy maven, issue solved.
Well if you read my whole post it clearly said the B1.2s and HGs were very comparable and the reason I didn’t keep the 1.2s were the eyecups were too short. I don’t like having to fiddle with a binos placement to avoid blackouts. I love my HGs so there’s NO issue nor did I imply there was.

Last edited:
Paultricounty I very much value your opinions on binos and think you are one of the most knowledgeable on various models on the forum. Inevitability we will disagree on some things but the vast majority of the time I agree with your opinions.

Well if you read my whole post it clearly said the B1.2s and HGs were very comparable and the reason I didn’t keep the 1.2s were the eyecups were too short. I don’t like having to fiddle with a binos placement to avoid blackouts. I love my HGs so there’s NO issue nor did I imply there was. Typical of posters here to not read a post or comprehend what has been written.
I do not take this forum seriously, so there is that, and yes I can f.....n read.

I bought the 8x42 in Dec.2020 . The first six months of use had me a bit on the fence , wasn't sure if they were a good fit for me .
I meant to say I was on the fence over the quality of glass , differences between MHG's and E2's . For twice the price of a new E2 was the MHG worth it? I wasn't sure , I am now . I will admit that right from the beginning I did like the way the MHG felt in my hands .

I’ve owned the Vipers and they were mediocre.
Ironic how we can feel so differently about a particular line. Originally I had little regard for anything from Vortex until I tried their Viper and UHD lineup. I've got both the Viper 10x42 HD and 12x50 HD and have only become a supporter of Vortex through their Viper series.
Now they fill a couple of nice places in my selection, right next to the Ultravids.

I complain about the MHG focusers but I love the ergonomic feel of them, I think it's the compact size combined with long barrels with room for your hands. Prefer this to the various Swaro CL's and also the 8x30 SFL. FWIW.....

The HGs are a fine glass. I would happily pay an extra $200 for a smoother focus wheel, removable eyecups and more metal and less plastic. I can understand why brands whose sub-alphas in this price category wouldn’t do this. So not to compete with their alpha offerings. However since this is Nikons top bino they really should. If Maven can have a nice alloy focus wheel and removable eyecups in a $500 glass then Nikon surely can add them to the HGs without raising the price much.

I have a very smooth experience with the focus wheel of my Nikon Monarch HG 8x30, and many others have the same experience! And about that rubberized focus wheel, I consider it an advantage over a metal wheel one. Most alpha binoculars, if not all, have a rubberized focus wheel that is pleasant to the touch.
Everyone has their expectations and claims, but I am completely satisfied with Monarch HG 8x30 construction. I really like its classic look, but also the optics and mechanics! I even think that, with this superb Monarch HG, Nikon occupies a unique place in the binoculars market, shared only with Leica binoculars. Instead of looking like many other binoculars, it has a luxurious finish and we can feel this in our hands. From my point of view, the concept of this binocular is welcome in the world of common binoculars with boring utilitarian design. This Monarch HG, it's like a classic Porsche. Monarch HG is a very successful design object besides the fact that it is also a good optical instrument!
The monarch:
The Monarch.jpg

I have a very smooth experience with the focus wheel of my Nikon Monarch HG 8x30, and many others have the same experience! And about that rubberized focus wheel, I consider it an advantage over a metal wheel one. Most alpha binoculars, if not all, have a rubberized focus wheel that is pleasant to the touch.
Everyone has their expectations and claims, but I am completely satisfied with Monarch HG 8x30 construction. I really like its classic look, but also the optics and mechanics! I even think that, with this superb Monarch HG, Nikon occupies a unique place in the binoculars market, shared only with Leica binoculars. Instead of looking like many other binoculars, it has a luxurious finish and we can feel this in our hands. From my point of view, the concept of this binocular is welcome in the world of common binoculars with boring utilitarian design. This Monarch HG, it's like a classic Porsche. Monarch HG is a very successful design object besides the fact that it is also a good optical instrument!
The monarch:
View attachment 1575170
Oh the bokeh 🙂

Glad to hear Nikon has made at least one smooth focus wheel on a HG. I’ve yet to find one that comes close. If one prefers rubber to a nicely textured alloy knob that’s not slippery in the wet like the HGs …

Glad to hear Nikon has made at least one smooth focus wheel on a HG. I’ve yet to find one that comes close. If one prefers rubber to a nicely textured alloy knob that’s not slippery in the wet like the HGs …
I’ve used about ten HG’s and can say eight of them were excellent , about as smooth, even and light as some of the best. And I have no issues with slippery focus knob in wet weather. As far as I’m concerned subpar focusers are the exception to the rule. I’ve seen a few bad focusers on just about every binocular on the market, that includes SFL’s, NL’s and on two Ultravids to name a few. A subpar focuser in a Nikon HG is not inherent in the line. Wait until more of these $1000 bins start coming out of China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back