• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nicholson's Pipit Reietvlei Nature Reserve South Africa Oct 9 (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm this to be a Nicholson's Pipit? Taken in Reietvlei Nature Reserve South Africa Oct
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT00958-D.jpg
    CAT00958-D.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 15
  • CAT00961-D.jpg
    CAT00961-D.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 16
  • CAT00963-D.jpg
    CAT00963-D.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 15
Without certainty: suggest African pipit. Outer tail feather appears white not buffy, and there's significant streaking on the chest

Having (finally) got to look at the LBJs book... I doubt there's a particular reason to think these (seemingly two birds in the photos) might be Nicholson's pipit ( = long-billed pipit), but, compared to that species, they seem more likely to be African pipit:
  • Pale on undertail (I doubt it's safe in these photos to call it white rather than the alternative of 'buffy-white') is extensive on inner web of outermost feather (much less on Nicholson's pipit).
  • Dense narrow chest-band of streaks rather than wider and sparser on Nicholson's pipit. (Macaulay photos of Nicholson's pipit show all manner of chest-patterns including African-pipit-like; given what we know Macaulay to be like, misidentifications must be rife indeed among their pipits in Africa.)
(The LBJs book leaves regular field guides dead in the water, to put it mildly - assuming, of course, that the stuff in it is right.)

Having (finally) got to look at the LBJs book... I doubt there's a particular reason to think these (seemingly two birds in the photos) might be Nicholson's pipit ( = long-billed pipit), but, compared to that species, they seem more likely to be African pipit:
  • Pale on undertail (I doubt it's safe in these photos to call it white rather than the alternative of 'buffy-white') is extensive on inner web of outermost feather (much less on Nicholson's pipit).
  • Dense narrow chest-band of streaks rather than wider and sparser on Nicholson's pipit. (Macaulay photos of Nicholson's pipit show all manner of chest-patterns including African-pipit-like; given what we know Macaulay to be like, misidentifications must be rife indeed among their pipits in Africa.)
(The LBJs book leaves regular field guides dead in the water, to put it mildly - assuming, of course, that the stuff in it is right.)
Well it matches Sasol. See post 2

it matches Sasol
Apologies - I think I missed your point... But, no, the OP's pic 2 doesn't match Sasol, as that book shows a largely dark inner web of the outermost tail-feather for African pipit - whereas pic 2 seems (difficult to see) to have that inner web entirely pale, much closer to the pattern shown for African pipit in LBJs. So (assuming LBJs is right), Sasol would not identify the OP's birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back