• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 10x42s wanted. But which ones? (1 Viewer)

sudynim

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to the sub (but been reading for quite some time though).

I'm wanting to buy some 10x42 binos but don't know which. I'm currently using an old pair of viking azura things... They are terrible not great (no offense to anyone!). They're around 650 grams in weight. Are there any 10x42s that are good quality and lighter or around this weight? I have a max budget of £800.
The only ones I've managed to try in person are the Zeiss terra ed, but at 725g they're too heavy for me (I'm quite a petite woman).

I was looking at the Nikon M7 or HG, but many of you on here don't seem to rate them, so that's kind of put me off them.
I'm in the UK. Does anyone know any good shops to actually try them too? Bonus points if it's in Yorkshire!!

Thanks ; )

Hi all,

I'm wanting to buy some 10x42 binos but don't know which. I'm currently using an old pair of viking azura things... They are terrible not great (no offense to anyone!). They're around 650 grams in weight. Are there any 10x42s that are good quality and lighter or around this weight? I have a max budget of £800.
The only ones I've managed to try in person are the Zeiss terra ed, but at 725g they're too heavy for me (I'm quite a petite woman).

I was looking at the Nikon M7 or HG, but many of you on here don't seem to rate them, so that's kind of put me off them.
I'm in the UK. Does anyone know any good shops to actually try them too? Bonus points if it's in Yorkshire!!

Thanks ; )
Unsure if this is allowed. But our optics weekends are South bank of the Humber

Hi, welcome!
My opinion is that Nikon M7 10x42 is much better than this Terra 10x42 anyway.
I recommend Nikon HG 10x42 it is small and light and very good optics!
There would also be Zeiss Conquest and Leica Trinovid, but they are heavier (around 750g) and over £800

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks ; )
Take a look at the Swarovski 10X42 SLC for sale in the classifieds, in your price range.

if you want to expand your horizons some, try the 10x32 Zeiss SFs. The are optically better than any other modern Zeiss bins that I have used and are LIGHT (about 21 ounces). A good review from Roger Vine can be obtained from searching Bird Forum.

if you want to expand your horizons some, try the 10x32 Zeiss SFs. The are optically better than any other modern Zeiss bins that I have used and are LIGHT (about 21 ounces). A good review from Roger Vine can be obtained from searching Bird Forum.
Thanks but I really want 10x42 as doing long open distance mostly.

London Camera Exchange Lincoln might be best bet to compare those two Nikon models.
Maybe another model to consider trying out for your primary use, if haven't already done so, is the Canon 12x36 IS III. This might be worth a try :
That`s another 40 mile drive each way for the first poster. We often get customers from Lincoln
despite LCE being on their doorstep and knowing they are there. Says something about our open days I guess

London Camera Exchange Lincoln might be best bet to compare those two Nikon models.
Maybe another model to consider trying out for your primary use, if haven't already done so, is the Canon 12x36 IS III. This might be worth a try :
Oooh brill thank you for this! May have to take a trip. 😊

That`s another 40 mile drive each way for the first poster. We often get customers from Lincoln
despite LCE being on their doorstep and knowing they are there. Says something about our open days I guess
Where and when is your next open day as I'm wanting to come along to this too!

Sadly the trouble with 10x42 bino's is weight and the 725g you alluded to as on the heavy side is very much in the ball park for that size.

If you are hell bent on 10x but could consider 32mm, I would have a close look at the GPO bino's. The Passion ED 10x32's are cracking binos and with current discounts, work out around the £340 mark. The GPO 10x42's are equally good and are about £380 but do work out heavier.

I wonder if you have considered IS binoculars? Like you my wife is petite, suffers a bit from handshake and uses the Canon 10x30 II stabilised bino's. They are truly excellent and whilst only 30mm, provide a superb view and, importantly, none of the shake that can occur by the weight and magnification of 10x non-stabilised bino's.

Just a thought for consideration, they are about £450 after a bit of net searching, and I must admit that once that little magic 'on' button is pressed they provide a fantastic, rock steady, view. They weigh 670g.

It is so difficult to recommend particular bino's and as you have mentioned it is best to physically test them if at all possible. I have tried some bino's that have been highly recommended on this excellent forum and unfortunately they either did not fit my face or didn't meet my needs. We are all different!

Good luck in your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back