• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mozambique help! (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

Hi all, since there isn't a dedicated Mozambique page on here, I wonder if I might tap into your knowledge!

I've just come back from an amazing week in Benguerra, in the Bazaruto Archipelago and before that, a week on safari (Nthambo in Klaserie and Arathusa in Sabi Sands) which was great too. Wasn't a 'proper' birding holiday, but you can't fail to see all sorts of amazing things and for someone from the UK, the variety of eagles was something special and three Southern Ground Hornbill as we were leaving Nthambo was a superb sight.

The grounds around Benguerra lodge are just full of wildlife, so stunning and travelling around the island, I tasted just a flavour of what birds the place has to offer. Pied Kingfishers, Greater Flamingos and (what I thought was) a pair of African Marsh Harriers hunting over the lakes.

I do have a couple of ID questions from Benguerra though. Also, does anyone have a list of what has been seen there? The lodge quoted one figure, other sites different ones but I'm not sure whether anyone has every compiled any sort of formal(ish) list.

If anyone can help me with my questions below, I'll post up what I saw so if anyone in the future is interested, I might provide a few pointers.

Anyway, question one, is this a Senegal coucal? I presume from looking at range and what not that it is, but I was just curious about the barring around the tail.

Second, which kind of bee eater is this? White Fronted or Olive?

And finally, the tricky one - each evening, as the sun went down and the bats came out, they were joined by what I first took to be some kind of tern, then Alpine Swift (which I believe isn't remotely native to the region) and then, well, no idea. Though those two thoughts give you an idea of size.

The birds were only a few tens of metres up, were twisting and turning around the sky like swifts, seemingly (in the poor light) had dark underwings and pale bellies, forked tails and, well, sounded like swifts too. They'd be around for 30 mins or so and then off.

I won't pretend these latter two images are anything but rubbish, but I was really struggling with my (new) bridge to get anything decent in the light and that speed. Maybe getting rid of my DSLR wasn't such a good idea after all! I'd be so grateful if anyone might have any ideas.

Attachments

• DSCN1025 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1025 (Large).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0970 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0970 (Large).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 95
  • Mystery1 (WinCE).JPG
    Mystery1 (WinCE).JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Mystery2 (WinCE).JPG
    Mystery2 (WinCE).JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 98
Hi all, since there isn't a dedicated Mozambique page on here, I wonder if I might tap into your knowledge!

Anyway, question one, is this a Senegal coucal? I presume from looking at range and what not that it is, but I was just curious about the barring around the tail.

Second, which kind of bee eater is this? White Fronted or Olive?

And finally, the tricky one - each evening, as the sun went down and the bats came out, they were joined by what I first took to be some kind of tern, then Alpine Swift (which I believe isn't remotely native to the region) and then, well, no idea. Though those two thoughts give you an idea of size.

The birds were only a few tens of metres up, were twisting and turning around the sky like swifts, seemingly (in the poor light) had dark underwings and pale bellies, forked tails and, well, sounded like swifts too. They'd be around for 30 mins or so and then off.

How about a) Burchell's Coucal, which occurs in Mozambique, b) Olive Bee-eater (chest colour is wrong for White-fronted), c) from your description and size estimate - Collared Pratincole.

Best wishes,
Dave

Dave

really appreciate the reply. Off the top of my head, re the Coucal, I thought that the Sasol book gave a different range area, but I've just looked at the Roberts Online site and you are, of course, right!

As for my mystery bird, I just didn't think about Pratincoles. Genius! Thank you again.

Thanks Larry. I had seen larger Mozambique lists, like that, I was just hoping for something a bit smaller for that region, if only due to the fact that I kept on reading different totals!

As threatened - and for anyone else heading off to Benguerra in future, here's a list of what I saw - taking into account the comments here. Nothing that exciting and hardly exhaustive - but may prove a starting point for someone. It's a beautiful place, I heartily recommend it.

Reed Cormorant
African Sacred Ibis
Grey Heron
Purple Heron
Little Egret
Western Cattle Egret
Black Winged Stilt
Common Whimbrel
Ruddy Turnstone
Water Thick-knee
Common Sandpiper
Curlew Sandpiper
Sanderling
Bar-Tailed Godwit
Grey Headed Gull
Lesser Crested Tern
Burchell Coucal
Little Beeeater
White Fronted Beeater
Blue Cheeked Beeater
Olive Beeeater
Lilac Breasted Roller
Dark Capped Bulbul
House Sparrow
Southern Grey Sparrow
Village Weaver
Brimstone Canary
Amethyst Sunbird
Red Faced Mousebird
Bronze Mannequin
Green Capped Eremomela
African Green Pigeon
Pied Crow
Emerald Dove
Laughing Dove
Cape Turtle Dove
Greater Flamingo
African Marsh Harrier
African Pipit
Fulvous Whistling Duck
Pin-Tailed Whydah
Pearl Spotted Owlet
African Scops Owl
Collared Pranticole

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back