• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta S1 APO scopes (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I am curious. Does anyone have any experience with this line of scopes? I had one of their earlier models, the Hermes 70 mm, several years ago and was fairly impressed with their optical performance, minus some CA issues. I know their newer model has been around for some time but have yet to really see anything mentioned on it. I was just checking out their new website www.meoptasportsoptics.com and noticed they have an interesting new digiscoping setup called the Meoview. I would love to give this one a try as it seems to really remedy one of my digiscoping "gripes".

Any comments would be welcome.

Frank,
I recall reading a test somewhere, which I have unfortunately been unable to locate, in which it fell somewhat behind the big APOs from Leica, Swaro and Zeiss. It does however have less aperture and is a lot cheaper than these.
I had a brief look through the Apo with 30x eyepiece at Photokina 2006 (Meopta did not exhibit last year) and was favourably impressed but cannot offer a qualified recommendation. The eyepieces I believe are of the screw-in type and have fold-down rubber eyecups. When I asked the Meopta representative about the rumours that they assemble scopes for one of the top three, his "No comment" was I suppose an answer in itself.
Holger Merlitz once quoted a military assessment of terrestrial scopes, which concluded that the exit pupil should be a minimum of 2,5mm and that in 90% of cases there was not much to be gained by magnifications above 30x due to mirage. If this is the case then a 30x75 would be an ideal compromise.

John

John,

Thank you for the comments. Excellent information. I have yet to try the 75 mm APO but I would like to eventually. I am looking for a larger alternative to my Pentax 65 for certain applications and I think the price/performance combination of the Meopta might be right up my alley. I would probably opt for the 30x eyepiece over the zoom though assuming it is a wide-angle model. I find myself using a scope in this capacity much more so than with a zoom.

...and, yes, I would like more conventional eyecups though. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back