• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba - Carman, Fort Whyte Center, 5 May – 13 May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Manitoba - Carman, Fort Whyte Center, 5 May – 13 May 2011

Started off my week of birding by catching a Belted Kingfisher in a tree at about 50 feet. Thought it was going to be a great photo op, but, when I got the bird in my viewfinder, nicely focused and depressed the shutter I realized the camera was not on. In the 1 or 2 seconds it took to turn the camera on the Kingfisher must have seen me and it was off chattering as it went.
On the same outing I finally got close enough to take pictures of Wood Ducks roosting about 20 feet up in a tree. There was also a Mallard in a tree nearby.
I caught a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker pecking quite vigorously on a metal hydro tower. He was making quite a racket.
Found a Black and White Warbler hiding behind some plastic bags on a shelf in our garage the other day. With a little prompting he flew out of the garage and seemed none the worse for wear.
Have watched 2 Robins building nests, one on the trail the other above our front door light.
Our outing to Fort Whyte was quite good, although cool, windy and threatening rain we saw quite a few waterfowl.
After leaving Fort Whyte we saw a Canada Goose in a farmers field being circled by 2 crows, one of the crows actually dove on the goose, couldn’t tell if the Crow made contact, but the goose certainly seemed to be startled.
On the 8th I took some time to count how many of a particular bird were at our feeders, the numbers are in brackets next to the listed birds below.

Manitoba - Carman, 5 May – 13 May 2011

Hermit Thrush
Carman
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1)
House Sparrow (9)
Chipping Sparrow (3)
Song Sparrow (2)
White Throated Sparrow (4)
Harris’s Sparrow (6)
Crow
Robin
Wood Duck
Mallard
Canada Geese
Common Grackle (8)
Belted Kingfisher
Purple Finch (4)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Chickadee (1)
Mourning Dove (2)
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Brown Thrasher (2)
White Crowned Sparrow (2)
Lincoln’s Sparrow (2)
Brown Headed Cowbird (1)
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Orange Crowned Warbler
Hawk (Unidentified)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Red Tailed Hawk
Vesper Sparrow
Eastern Phoebe
Pine Siskin (14+)
House Finch (6)
Brewer’s Blackbird
Sprague’s Pipit
Black and White Warbler

Fort Whyte Center, 10 May

Canada Geese
Yellow Warbler
Black and White Warbler
House Sparrow
Mallard
Starling
Red Winged Blackbird
Horned Grebe
Double Crested Cormorant
Red Necked Grebe
Chickadee
Northern Shoveler
Franklin’s Gull
California Gull
Brewer’s Blackbird
Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Canvasback
American Coot
Greater Scaup
Yellow Rumped Warbler
White Breasted Nuthatch
Killdeer

Attachments

• yellow bellied sapsucker resize IMG_4522.jpg
    yellow bellied sapsucker resize IMG_4522.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 30
  • wood duck roosting IMG_4638.jpg
    wood duck roosting IMG_4638.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 35
  • wood duck roosting IMG_4639.jpg
    wood duck roosting IMG_4639.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 27
  • double crested comorants IMG_5248.jpg
    double crested comorants IMG_5248.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 28
  • starling IMG_5368.jpg
    starling IMG_5368.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back