• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's a Fulham thing (1 Viewer)

Thing

Idiosyncratic
I’ve always thought that local patch is where you go the most. Which makes my break/lunch forays to the Thames my local patch by a long long way. So here goes…

The background is this. The area that I visit is on the north bank of the Thames around Wandsworth Bridge. I’ve been properly watching and recording it for a couple of months now. It is a mixture of luxury flats and heavy industry and includes a view of the outflow of the Wandle (which was recently poisoned by Thames Water, which was nice of them). It is only a mile or two from the London Wetland Centre in Barnes, so there is plenty of opportunity for some lovelies passing by. There are some parks nearby (including the site of the filming of a Monty Python sketch) which I occasionally pop into. The Thames is still tidal at this point, so where I go can be dependent on the water level. High tide is generally not the most productive. No it isn’t the most wildlife managed spot in the country but it might be interesting to see what pops up.

The list currently stands at 52. I expect autumn and winter should get this total up a bit though. Recent highlights have been Common Sandpipers, Tufted Duck and a couple of Grey Wagtails that are hanging about.

I expect this will not be the most rarity filled of pages, on the other hand, I will try to refrain from posting Gull fluctuation stats for you. ;)

Michael

So here is the full list (which is now at 52 with Wednesday’s Sandwich Tern). I have put some max counts on for some species.

Mute Swan 2
Greylag Goose 2
Canada Goose 2
Mallard 25+ (I doubt if any of these are truly wild as with the Geese)
Tufted Duck
Great Crested Grebe 3
Cormorant 20+
Grey Heron 5
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Peregrine
Moorhen 2
Coot 2
Common Sandpiper 2
Black-headed Gull 100+
Common Gull
Lesser Black Backed Gull 10+
Herring Gull 50+
Great Black Backed Gull
Sandwich Tern
Feral Pigeon I don’t count them!
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Rose-Ringed Parakeet 5
Swift
Great Spotted Woodpecker
House Martin
Swallow
Grey Wagtail 2
Pied Wagtail 4
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush 8
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow 50+
Starling 100+
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Linnet 8
Yellowhammer

Here's to the next 52.

Michael

Today was rubbish, high tide and heavy rain meant that I had to suffice with feeding the gulls. The Black-heads will only eat apple if it is cut up into tiny pieces!

Been away for a week, caught up work wise so went for a wander this lunchtime.

There has been an imm Grey Wagtail knocking about for a while, but today there was an adult, and a fine looking bird too - the vent was almost painfully yellow. The tide was nearly up so there was little else around barring a Pipit that I couldnt identify.

Top counts on two species today - over 50 Mallard knocking about this lunchtime, and 6 Long Tailed Tits.

No cottages though...

My opinion on this man is that he is awful,why the "grocer" went for him goodness only knows.The sooner he is replaced,the better the chance we have of moving up the table.

Possibly be the next manager to leave the premeirship.

POP

My opinion on this man is that he is awful,why the "grocer" went for him goodness only knows.The sooner he is replaced,the better the chance we have of moving up the table.

Possibly be the next manager to leave the premeirship.

POP

Oh dear, seem to have spent my life as a Fulham supporter in relegation battles...

Sanchez seems to have restyled himself on Ronnie Kray - very strange.

Anyway there was a Sparrowhawk around this lunchtime, which was nice.....

Yesterday brought peak counts on three species.

Common Gull x 6
Tufted Duck x 2
Mute Swan x 4

I have also noted that Common Gulls are rubbish at catching bread in flight compared to the Black Headed...

Yesterday brought peak counts on three species.

Common Gull x 6
Tufted Duck x 2
Mute Swan x 4

I have also noted that Common Gulls are rubbish at catching bread in flight compared to the Black Headed...

could be they prefer cake.

POP

Numbers of many species on the rise.

100+ Black Headed Gull
15+ Common Gull
9 Tufted Duck
36 Cormorant

There was a couple of Jackdaws around today, and maybe a couple of Redwings. Maybe.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back