• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hydroprogne caspia from Egypt? (1 Viewer)

Can't see the underside of the primaries properly but the carrot-size bill must nail it. Is the video slowed down? (if so, that's definitely not what is wanted for ID - no offence - even if it is the only way you ever see birds on telly, sadly).

Thanks for explaining - sure, that could indeed be helpful for that reason - though in fact to achieve that it would have to be slowed a lot further still. But doing that affects the flight action and thus the impression that you get of a bird in the field (especially size), so it's necessary to say that that's been done 👍🏼 In my opinion.

Looks like a T. bergii to me. Wings a bit slimmer and more angular, primaries widely pale, dark upperside, only bill looks weirdish strong and straight but that might be due to angle.

Looks like a T. bergii to me. Wings a bit slimmer and more angular, primaries widely pale, dark upperside, only bill looks weirdish strong and straight but that might be due to angle.
Disagree, Caspian Tern without doubt.....even a slowed down video clearly shows quite a unique flight action together with a huge bill as mentioned.

First part of the video shows a dark bird that matches T. bergii and not H. caspia. On the second part, I agree it seems to be a straightforward Caspian. Two different birds might have been filmed ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back