• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to pronounce "Nikon" (2 Viewers)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Here is one that will get some to give their input. I forget what thread recently the way that Nikon is pronounced has given to varied replies.

Here is what I have found out. In the US, where I am from it is commonly
pronounced N"eye"con.

There may be 3.

At Nikon Japan, it is Kneekon, Nikon USA it is Neyecon, and at Nikon UK,
it may be Nickon.

Pretty important stuff here, so it seems they all work, and are correct.

For us Nikon camera users, the next subject is "Nikkor".

What are your opinions on that one? ;)

Hanno:

How do you pronounce "Canon", that one has different ones also?

It seems we can have some fun with this.

The Dutch say " Kneekon".
Nikkor.... I'd pronounce that softspoken so nobody gets offended.

And if I were a photographer I'd rather have a Canon to shoot with.
I have Canon bins and I call them my big guns.

Leica next?

Swarovski? Is it Austrian? Polish? Slovak? Are the binoculars properly Germanic or Slavic?

Tzeisstz has avoided this problem by outsourcing to Hungary but if they were to go into partnership with Swarovski what would be the result? Would the Holy Roman Empire rise again?

Mere musings,
Bob

When I joined DIXONS (now Currys Digital) as a junior salesman, back in 1963. It was always [Nikkon]. Nobody had ever heard of [N eye kon].
Infact, if I remember correctly. Nikon is actually an abbreviation of Nippon Kogaku, with an 'n' tacked on the end.

the apps engineers who installed our nikon steppers all of which are japanese pronounce it neekon.

the cannon apps engineers who installed our cannon steppers on the other hand called then canon just like us brits do.

now that's only from talking to people who come from both of these companies head offices and actually live in japan.

now there can only be 2 methods of pronouncing them that are correct, the method used by native employees of the company in question.

or that of a native of the country in which the language is being spoken in.

so either neekon the japanese pronunciation or nickon the english pronunciation are correct 8-P

I think many of us were introduced to the pronunciation [N eye kon] by the Paul Simon song "Kodachrome" where he states "I got a N eye kon camera"

R.I.P. Kodachrome

Last edited:
“Nye-kon” (long “i”) is the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced in the States (& I go back some!). I’m not so sure about “Nikkor”, but mainly with a long “i”, I think.

Last edited:
I would guess that the name is of Polish origin.
In Austria and Germany it is pronounced Svar-off-skee.
Zeiss is pronounced Tsice.

John

Swarovski was founded in 1895 by two Jewish financiers, Armand Kosman and Franz Weis, using Daniel Swarovski's expertise at glass-cutting and his family name.

Daniel Swarovski was born in Bohemia, which is now part of the Czech Republic. Crystal was cut in Daniel's father's small factory, which is how he learned the trade.

At that time, Bohemia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which was one of the leading manufacturing centers in the world for glass and crystal.

Although I haven't been able to confirm that Daniel Swarovski was also Jewish, the surname "Swarovski" is listed in the database of Jewish surnames:

http://www.avotaynu.com/csi/csi-result.html

So Swarovski was founded by two Jewish financiers and a Bohemian, who may also have been Jewish.

How ironic then, that some Swaro owners tout the brand because of its Teutonic heritage. :)

Swarovski was founded in 1895 by two Jewish financiers, Armand Kosman and Franz Weis, ...................................

So Swarovski was founded by two Jewish financiers and a Bohemian, who may also have been Jewish.

How ironic then, that some Swaro owners tout the brand because of its Teutonic heritage. :)

That is plausible. If all three were Jewish then it is likely that they spoke Yiddish, an Eastern Germanic language.

Bob

The Teutonic pronunciation of w is usually v, so Svarofskih is likely the way a native wd say it, ja?

Now shall we try Bausch & Lomb? I've heard it Bowsh & Bawsh, Loam & Lahm.....

As for Nikon, I've heard Japanese checking in for a flight talking about their "N-eye-kons" but also their "Nih-kor" lenses. Apparently the double consanant after the vowel makes is short when translated to American/English. But then.....toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe....

Nikon's current television commercials pronounce it n-eye-kon. I guess they should know.

Mike

Interestingly, "Nikon" is actually an acronym for the original corporate name [Ni]ppon [Ko]kagu [N]ippon, with early products, especially the renowned 35mm rangefinder cameras, so marked.

Just because we've heard a name "always pronounced that way" doesn't mean it's the *right* way.

Many years ago a Japanese fellow told me that the correct pronunciation (as many have already cited) is KNEE-cohn. He also told me that the brand that starts with a Y is not Yah-SHEE-kah, but YASH-ih-cah, with the "ih" almost silent. I will still say NYE-con, but I know better. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back