• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hodbarrow Nature Reserve,Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Helen,please take notice of Stephen,rather than me.He is a very experienced birder.I am very much a novice,I just love birds and am able to identify the local birds at Hodbarrow.Stephen is the BTO rep for the area,and if he says that the Cumbrian website is okay,the be guided by him.
but keep in touch.
Christine.

Christine and Stephen,
Thanks for the replies. Did a search on Google and found both the sites mentioned. The Cumbria Bird Club looks very good - I checked it out a few years ago when it was just started and didn't have much on it. Here's the URL for anyone else interested:
http://www.cumbriabirdclub.freeserve.co.uk/

I didn't try to join the Yahoo Cumbria birding site, so couldn't view the posts, but will later.

Thanks...

Christine,

Yes it was a gentle leg pull about the gulls. They do have to be counted this winter as part of the national survey, but you told me you aren't a big gull fan some time back and I was referring back to that.

Regards,

Stephen.

helen,Hi,i'm afraid i got rather muddled.One does at my age at times!!.I was mixing up the Cumbrian bird club,with the birdingCumbria site.Two totally different sites.Stephen will put you in tune as to which does what.But yes i did go to the Cumbrian bird site club a few months ago,it was recommended by Colin Gay(you should know him Stephen,he knows you) he is a mine of info re birds etc,i have learn't an awful lot from him,but the site i was actually thinking of was the Yahoo groups Birding cumbria.that site tells one of all the latest birds and sitings etc.
Stephen I do like gulls,and when I send you my BTO form,I have actually got around to reading it today,will fill in tommorrow,i will be more than happy to indulge in gull and wader surveys.But to count all the gulls in this area,and for me to differentiate between the various species in mid flight except for the black headed will be no easy task.i think my forte would be more up to sitting in the hide counting the reserve species.
reagrds Christine.

Christine,

Yes I think the point was that you didn't fancy differentiating gull species. I wasn't saying you didn't like gulls, though many people don't.

Even Black-headed Gulls can repay study. We have had several from all over Europe around Blackpool over the last year or so, it helps to be at a site where they roost on land rather than water at least some of the time so you can read any Darvic rings on their legs. I don't know what they do at Hodbarrow but if they are usually in the water it is worth a look at them when the ice freezes.

Stephen.

Thanks Christine though it'll probably be a long time before I'm up Hodbarrow way again, I usually don't get much further north than
Leighton Moss...come to think of it I havn't been to Leighton for a few years.
If you're ever down Martin Mere way I'd be glad to show you around. I've just been reading about a White Winged Black Tern amongst the Little Terns seen at Gronant today!!! So keep your eyes peeled !!

Thanks for message Johnny 1.I think we are going to be in the Martin mere area on the 20th,with the NWNG..They do have a website by the way.WWW.nwng.co.uk.I found them on the e-photozine website,on the forum.A really nice bunch of guys.They seemed to be based in and around the Martin Mere area,but allowed me to include Hodbarrow as a nature reserve for the North West.But they are i think more into flora and fauna,although they did put my little Canada goose chick,on the Hodbarrow gallery,and say that when there is not much in the way of Flowers and stuff ,that birds and mammals will then be included.I wouldn't know a natterjack toad if it jumped out and hit me on the nose,but it is all quite interesting,and the group are very friendly,and patient.I think we are going to Mere Sands,Rufford ,it is a photography day.But haven't a clue as to where it is,hoping some one will send me directions..thanks again.Johnny 1,yes let me know when you are next in this neck of the woods.
Cheers Christine.

Hi christine, Mere Sands Wood is about a mile from Martin Mere and don't worry there are plenty of birds there to photograph.
Mere Sands consists of several small "lakes" surrounded by woodland you can expect to see Great and Little Grebes, Little Ringed Plovers used to breed there (probably still do), you'll also find the usual woodland birds Blackcap, Willow and Sedge, Reed Warbs breed there as well.
I'd make sure you come equipped with a flask and sandwiches, although there is a visitor center they don't sell refreshments.
If it's raining there are several hides to shelter in!!
If you're coming in from the North via Preston along the A59 Preston to Liverpool road, when you reach Ruffordtake a right onto Holmeswood Road (this is the Rufford to Southport road) after about a mile you will come to the entrance to Mere Sands on your left.
If you need any more info let me know.

Johnny,

Not sure if LRPs breed there any longer, I think probably not. Sedge Warblers don't breed, one of the truly amazing things about the reserve in 2002 was that it had a Surf Scoter but not a single record of the humble Sedge Warbler!

Regards.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, I'm ashamed to say I havn't been to Mere Sands for a year now even though it's the nearest reserve to me, I didn't even go to see the Surf Scoter!!! I'm determined to make the effort and pay a visit shortly.

heron fishing

managed to catch this heron in the water at hodbarrow.difficult to take as it was quite a distance away and the scope was sort of angled around a corner.he was so well camoflaged with the grey stones.
Christine.

Attachments

• herons&swallow chicks 085-e.jpg
    herons&swallow chicks 085-e.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 141
swallow chick

Johnny1,i seem to have got lost somewhere in these forums,i could not get back to your previous message,anyway,hopefully here is the swallow chick as mentioned earlier.Hope you have a good weekend.
Christine.ps Thankyou for the instructions re mere sands.

Attachments

• herons&swallow chicks 040-e.jpg
    herons&swallow chicks 040-e.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 169
herons at Hodbarrow

a pic of a heron taken at the Hodbarrow reserve.I actually manged to spot this one in a tree.There was in actual fact a family of them.Due to the distance and weather conditions(lots of bright sunlight) the pic is of not the best quality.
Christine

Attachments

• heron nest 029e.jpg
    heron nest 029e.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 133
heron waiting

The parent herons were waiting in the water underneath the trees for fish so they could feed the offspring.
Christine

Attachments

• heron nest-2 017e.jpg
    heron nest-2 017e.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 146
ringed plover chick

a ringed plover chick learning to fend for himself,and investigating the big outside world.
Christine

Attachments

• heron nest-2 033e.jpg
    heron nest-2 033e.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 145
young gull in the sun.

this young gull was standing on one leg in the sun,one eye open,one eye shut ,and he really posed for the camera.
Christine.

Attachments

• heron nest 072e.jpg
    heron nest 072e.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 153
herons at Hodbarrow

just a pic of a heron on the hodbarrow reserve.Not very clear and not easy to take as it was a distance away,and was very hot and hazy.
Christine

Attachments

48.4 KB · Views: 125
herons at Hodbarrow

Hi,Silverstreak and Johnny1 also jenygard,I seem to have lost touch with you as I now cannot put ant more pics on the Pipit critique forum.
Anyway here is a pic of the herons at hodbarrow.Not terribly good due to distance and the sun.

Christine.

Attachments

48.4 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back