• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

Wryneck seen at Garnlydan Res this afternoon. Nice site record and a bit of an unexpected one! Wish I had seen it!

Wryneck seen at Garnlydan Res this afternoon. Nice site record and a bit of an unexpected one! Wish I had seen it!

I had my first in the clearfell above Talybont res a couple of weeks back but didnt get a pic.I may go up to the res first thing tomorrow and hope its still around.

Managed to get up to the Garnlydan Res this morning and caught up with the Wryneck along with fellow Birder Lee Parsons.It only showed briefly in amongst the wind and rain but I did manage a decent record shot.Hopefully it will hang around for a day or two.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.jpg
    IMG_3664.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 63
October 20th 2011

One post in October so far...RIP this thread I reckon.

Anyway, Garlydan Res this morning.

Water levels have dropped as they have been shipping water over to the lower carno...pity they didn't do it at the beginning of summer.

Juv male & Female Reed Bunting in the tree by the wall...good views too.

Red Kite flying above the reservoir.

Cormorant on the point.

Dozen lapwings flying about - have seen them up there a few times now.

8 Meadow Pipts flying abt the area.

My garden

Quiet at the moment although most regulars coming in but in smaller numbers. Last few days have had a goldcrest in the tree..not got a shot of him as I aint been in the shed for ages.

I had my first in the clearfell above Talybont res a couple of weeks back but didnt get a pic.I may go up to the res first thing tomorrow and hope its still around.

Just noticed this. Have you told Andy King?? Wrynecks are a very rare bird in powys so worth making sure the record goes in. It probably been quite a long time since there's been on a powys.

Just noticed this. Have you told Andy King?? Wrynecks are a very rare bird in powys so worth making sure the record goes in. It probably been quite a long time since there's been on a powys.

Yes,sent him an email as soon as I got home.The Garnlydan bird was popping back and forth the county when me and Lee (Parsons) was up there too.

Six Ring Ouzel now present (2 female) above the Garden Festival site.Feeding in the Hawthorns below the old dramroad with a small handful of Blackbirds, Redwing and Fieldfare.

Attachments

• IMG_4721x.jpg
    IMG_4721x.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4597x.jpg
    IMG_4597x.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
A Ring Tailed Hen Harrier was quartering the boggy area near the Gasworks over the Hafod (Brynmawr) yesterday morning.Last seen heading for the Garnlydan Res after flushing about 300 Fieldfare at 8.30am.

Garnlydan Res

A single female Goosander came in to roost at about 4.15pm and I also flushed 3 Red Grouse at the side of the track North of the res.

Goosander Winter Survey

Hi folks.

I have been asked again to help to do a Winter survey on Goosanders using Gwent waterbodies and could do with some help.
Four dates have been chosen this year for observers to conduct a co-ordinated count for an accurate number of Goosander in Gwent.
The dates are 20th November, 18th December, 15th January, 12th February.
Observers need to be on site about an hour before dusk and count birds present and birds coming in before leaving when it gets dark.
I said that I will again cover Garnlydan Res but need someone to cover Carno Res and the Waun Y Pound lakes.

Any takers?

I was in South Wales today , then into Hereford , part of Brecon and back into Newport. I was driving for work , so no chance to stop and look but wow , stunning countryside. Dipper heaven on some of the rivers I crossed , and I went across a moor but not sure where I was , (black mountains were on my left) and spotted hundreds of Fieldfares. I shall go back when not working as it was a stunning area. Lee.

just wondering if anyones been out to look for Short-eared Owl? We've had quite a lot down here and there were loads arriving in off the sea in the east of the UK earlier in the autumn. I've noticed a couple of sightings in brecknock so I guess there's a good chance there are some in gwent somewhere. Obviously Waunafon is the likely spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back