• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gibraltar in spring (but not migration) (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
I'm looking at a long weekend in Gibraltar next spring primarily for Two Tailed Pasha (and the monkeys) and probably with hand luggage only (so no scope)

I'm sure there will be a few soaring raptors around but I wondered if anyone here had any experience of birding on the rock itself, I've seen some sightings lists but it's a bit hard to separate out migrants from residents. Also what reptiles or larger insects might be likely in two days of dedicated looking.

It looks like there are a few cheapish dolphin boats and that Striped Dolphin is fairly likely. Does anyone have any experience of them and know whether Scopoli's Shearwater is likely?

Doesn't answer your question directly, but if Two-tailed Pasha is your goal, this can be done in September too, then clearly coinciding with very good birding. Did this a few years back:

Thanks yes birds wise I think that would be miles better the next few months are really booked out with trips already though so I think May/June for the first brood is more likely. It'll be my first time trying a flying visit to somewhere for wildlife so I wasnt sure about the added logistics of the border crossing and transport in spain although as I research more I may get more ambitious if there is cool stuff quite easily nearby.

The flights are really cheap and line up nicely with my days off and the stuff actually in Gibraltar seem (obviously) really close together.

Never been myself, but the Crossbill Guides Eastern Andalucia book has quite a lot of info on Gibraltar, as well as raptor viewpoints in neighbouring areas of Spain.

Have a look at the website of the Gibraltar Ornithological and Natural History Society (www.gonhs.org), which has plenty of current and past information on birds, including free-to-access back numbers of the Gibraltar Bird Report (which I edit) and species lists for other fauna and flora. There is a chapter on Gibraltar in my book 'Where to watch birds in southern and western Spain', 4th edition 2019, Helm, which also has plenty of information on sites, timing etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back