• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

getting to Cat Tien budget-wise (1 Viewer)

Chlidonias

hi all,

(again for a friend, sadly I'm not going to Vietnam just yet): can anyone give me details for getting to Cat Tien from HCMC with local transport (i.e no tours). I gather there's a local bus heading towards Dalat and you can get dropped off at the turn. From there what is the deal -- motorbike, another bus, etc?

And following on from that, what is the current cost of accommodation at the park and is there a contact email for him to book his stay? Is a guide a requirement in the park, or are you free to do your own thing?

Thanks for any help :)

From the turn-off you take a "Xe om" (motorbike taxi) for the 25K ride. Plenty off those where the bus drops you. Make sure your friend tells the bus driver that he is going to Cat Tien.

Haven't been for a couple of years, cannot help you with the 2nd part of your question.

hi all,

(again for a friend, sadly I'm not going to Vietnam just yet): can anyone give me details for getting to Cat Tien from HCMC with local transport (i.e no tours). I gather there's a local bus heading towards Dalat and you can get dropped off at the turn. From there what is the deal -- motorbike, another bus, etc?

And following on from that, what is the current cost of accommodation at the park and is there a contact email for him to book his stay? Is a guide a requirement in the park, or are you free to do your own thing?

Thanks for any help :)

You can do your 'own thing' at Cat Tien if you wish and birding is excellent. You can also hire a guide. We hired Duyen for part of our stay who then organised a boat and landrover to access more distant parts of the park. He was excellent and spoke good English) Although I cannot remember how much this cost us I thought the charge was reasonable (being a scrooge I would not have hired him if the cost was high as we were on a very limited budget for our year of birding round the world)

In haste Sue x

thanks for the help. It seems very straight-forward getting to the park from HCMC, and he has decided to hire a guide (hopefully Duyen) for one of his days there.

Not sure if it's too late, but a few more details, just incase.

Coming with the bus from Saigon, you need to get off in the town of Tan Phu to take a motorbike to Cat Tien NP. There are even road signs to the NP.
Note that locals usually say "Nam Cat Tien" (south Cat Tien) when the mean the NP, there can be confusion with a another Cat Tien, which is a village a bit further off. So best tell the driver that you want to get off in Tan Phu at the junction to Nam Cat Tien.
Another junction to the park is a little later in the town of Madagui, that's the point to get off when coming from the other direction, e.g. from Dalat.

Costs for accomodation at the NP headquarter are 15-25$, but there is also a more luxuray option inside the park now, costs 100 or more.
Duyen is a very nice guy, recommended! Although a guide is not really necessary there...

For reservation, best call, here you find the number: http://www.namcattien.vn/contact.aspx
I see that they also give an emailaddress now, but not sure if they react on this.

And they need a new logo I think...

Last edited:
not too late at all dalat -- my friend's not going to be in Vietnam until the end of March -- so your information is very useful. Thanks very much :)

I see what you mean about the logo too!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back