• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands Trip May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Groocock

I will be staying in Seahouses over the late Bank Hiliday week in May and want to include a trip to the Farne Islands. I am aware that two service providers undertake daily trips and have studied their websites. One provides a full day birdwatching trip allowing about 2.5 hours on each island, the other does seperate trips with landings of about an hour. What I really want to know, is your personal recommendations as to which trip to take. This is to be a long awaited trip and I want to get the most out of it. I thank you in anticipation :t:

Farne Isands

Hi Kevin.
My wife and I done the trip about 4years ago, we went with Billy Shields it was a brilliant day out.Billy provides the National Trust on Staple Island with all provisions . I think he was the only one able to land visitors there. Remember if you go take a hat with you because the Artic Terns go a bit mad.When we were there the springwatch team were doing a live cam with Simon King. It's a great photo oppertunity - I think the trip lasted approx 4 hours the cost was approx £12-£15 a superb day out the weather was glorious on our trip and we saw many seals.

Terry

Bear in mind that if you're not a National Trust member there is a landing fee for each island visited in addition to the boat fee. I think it was £4 per person per island last time I went.

I went last May with Billy Shiel and had a fantastic time - so good in fact that I went twice. As Terry says "take a hat" you will need it as the terns give you a right old welcome. You will get some fantastic shots and I will probably take the trip again in the first week in May this year.

Steve

if you are at all squeamish about birds pecking you, take a stick, 90% of the time the arctics get the top of the stick and not you: its still disconcerting to be hit on the head even through a hat. kids/women can get a bit freaked out.
The terns tend to target faster moving targets. if you move slowly and are calm, you can get very close to them. I have sat on a bench within feet of a nest, and the male bird ignored me, as i didnt seem a threat......but the kids running past were geting it big time!

I'm aiming to go tomorrow - fine weather forecast so looking forward to sunburn and some good photo ops!

OK - back from a great trip - thoroughly enjoyable. I have been to the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth and so had a pretty good idea of what to expect, but in some ways this surpassed that.

I went with Serenity Tours partly because the timing suited me better and partly because the catamaran is allegedly a smoother ride than other boats and would provider a better platform for shots on the water as well as being easier on the digestive system.

I opted for the trip to Inner Farne - again largely due to timing, but I think all the trips at least visit all the Islands even though you only land on one. The two guys running the tour were great - the pilot banging on his window to alert me to anything he saw in case I had missed it, and holding great position under the cliffs of Staple Island to give great photo opportunities.

The catamaran operated by Serenity does seem to give a nice smooth ride and good clear views all round - I was really impressed as to how good a view you got even from the boat - I think some people would be happy with just a cruise without landing. At one point I was actually too close to take shots as I had my big lens on.

I didn't see anything new to me but then I wasn't expecting to - on the trip around the islands we had the ubiquitous eider, guillemots, razorbill, puffins, shag, cormorants, kittiwakes and assorted gulls and sandwich and arctic terns. Fantastic views of grey seals both hauled out on the rocks and swimming around the boat to get a look at us.

On Inner Farne itself we had an hour (which turned into an hour and a quarter by the time our boat had queued up at the jetty to collect us.

On the shore of the island we had common and sandwich terns greeting us as well as eider and oystercatcher and I saw a single turnstone. Afer the gentle climb up the boardwark into the middle of the island there were arctic, sandwich and common terns, black headed gulls and puffins streaming past our noses (although thankfully not aimed at us!) and eider wonderfully camouflaged just inches from the boardwalk.

The clifftop by the lighthouse again offered unrivalled views of kittiwakes, shag, razorbill and guillemot to the extent that I had to move back in order to focus on some. I was trying to get a shot of a puffin when a kittiwake landed six inches from my hand!

You are quite regimented on Inner Farne compared to the Isle of May, being fairly clearly restricted to narrow boardwalks, whereas on Isle of May there are no such barriers. I don't really have a problem with that as I often had to check myself from blundering into female eiders sat motionelss on nests on May, but it does make the place look and feel a little bit artificial - almost like a safari park.

I'm not sure if Staple Island is quite the same - I suspect it might not be.

Anyway - the Farnes are a magical place, especially once you are out there, and the tours make an excellent job of keeping people informed - from the enthusiastic nature watcher to the japanese tourists (who spend much of the trip gagging into handkerchiefs over the smell off the bird colonies as much as seasickness!)

My advice though - go for the full day excursion where you get a couple of hours on each island. One hour isn't really enough - could happily have spent 3 or 4 hours.

I'm uploading pics from my trip to my flickr account if anyone wants to see.

You are quite regimented on Inner Farne compared to the Isle of May, being fairly clearly restricted to narrow boardwalks, whereas on Isle of May there are no such barriers. I don't really have a problem with that as I often had to check myself from blundering into female eiders sat motionelss on nests on May, but it does make the place look and feel a little bit artificial - almost like a safari park.

If you'd been there outside the season and had occasion to step off the boardwalks, you'd find out that they aren't just there to separate you from the breeding birds, but that is their main function.

The soil is so undermined with puffin burrows you'd be risking yourself if you walked over the grass. You step forward and all of a sudden you sink calf-deep or further into the ground as a tunnel collapses under you like a booby trap.

Cheers Pauls for posting your account of a super trip. We have e-mailed the all day tour operator to book two seats. Heres hoping the weather is good and we have a day as good as yours.

If you'd been there outside the season and had occasion to step off the boardwalks, you'd find out that they aren't just there to separate you from the breeding birds, but that is their main function.

The soil is so undermined with puffin burrows you'd be risking yourself if you walked over the grass. You step forward and all of a sudden you sink calf-deep or further into the ground as a tunnel collapses under you like a booby trap.

Good point! and one I had not considered!

True enough! I guess the relative accessibility of the Farnes also means that you get a fair number of non-birding tourists that maybe aren't as savvy about minding where they are trampling.

Thanks for your report of your trip.
I visit Northumberland once or twice a year. Am up in a couple of weeks and intending to go to the Farnes again.
As my time is fairly limited when I am up there I usually opt for the one hour landing on Inner Farne. Find this is ok if I get fairly organised and know what I want pictures of.

Just need the weather now.

Hugh

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Myself and my partner are booked for the Inner Farne tour with Willie Shields in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen many of the common seabirds such as Puffin, Kittiwake, Guillemot, Shag, Arctic Tern and Razorbill so am looking forward to good views.

My dilemma is whether or not to take my scope. From reports above it doesn't sound as though its necessary, but I'd just like to get some confirmation. More than anything, I think the tripod will be too cumbersome on the boat (I'm not expecting to use it on the boat!) and be an annoyance to others on the narrow boardwalks. Am I thinking along the right lines here, and bins will be more than adequate?

The other question is regarding a hat. Is a soft hat, such as a baseball cap enough, or do we need to go down the full-on hard hat route?

Last edited:
We are going (9 of us) on friday morning,stopping at Rutland on the way for a bit of osprey if one obliges,then off to seahouses for the night before the Farne Island trip on the saturday,really looking forward to it.
We should arrive mid afternoon up in Northumberland and with 5-6 hours of possible sunlight available there will obviously be some calls for birding.
Was just wondering if there were any places to see moorland species like grouse,dotterel etc either locally or on the way up,any advice would be much appreciated,alternatively somewhere local near seahouses where we may find the odd nugget!!!!

Farne Islands

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Myself and my partner are booked for the Inner Farne tour with Willie Shields in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen many of the common seabirds such as Puffin, Kittiwake, Guillemot, Shag, Arctic Tern and Razorbill so am looking forward to good views.

My dilemma is whether or not to take my scope. From reports above it doesn't sound as though its necessary, but I'd just like to get some confirmation. More than anything, I think the tripod will be too cumbersome on the boat (I'm not expecting to use it on the boat!) and be an annoyance to others on the narrow boardwalks. Am I thinking along the right lines here, and bins will be more than adequate?

The other question is regarding a hat. Is a soft hat, such as a baseball cap enough, or do we need to go down the full-on hard hat route?

You definately dont need a scope.I go there normally once a year,always a huge pleasure as you get so close to the terns,Puffins et all. I dont wear a hat of any sort,the terns do dive down close to you but the restricted walk area seems to be seen by them as relatively non intrusive so they dip close but not that close ! It is a superb day out,enjoy yourself.

Places nearby are very very good too,try East chevington,Hollywell,Cresswell Ponds,Holy Island,Druiridge Bay etc, look through the forum reports and there are loads of good local sites.

You definately dont need a scope.I go there normally once a year,always a huge pleasure as you get so close to the terns,Puffins et all. I dont wear a hat of any sort,the terns do dive down close to you but the restricted walk area seems to be seen by them as relatively non intrusive so they dip close but not that close ! It is a superb day out,enjoy yourself.

Places nearby are very very good too,try East chevington,Hollywell,Cresswell Ponds,Holy Island,Druiridge Bay etc, look through the forum reports and there are loads of good local sites.

Thanks, Andy, that's very useful information. If time permits, I'll give the other sites a go too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back