• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepieces for MM3 GA (non ED) (1 Viewer)

Patudo

sub-200 birding aspirant
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've found myself in possession of (which, reading back over it, makes me sound as though I'm a bailiff...) an Opticron MM3 GA (non-ED), body only. I don't use a scope very much but can see how a small lightweight unit could be useful - I've already thought of a couple of jobs for it.

I'd be grateful for observations on eyepieces you guys/girls have tried with this scope body, and what you'd recommend (or not as the case may be). In view of the non-ED and 60mm objective, I'm not seeking high magnification - I guess something in the range of 18x to maybe 25x would do me fine. I like fixed (non-zoom) eyepieces as well, so please feel free to comment about these too. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers
Patudo

Thought you were a 2-eyes birder? Welcome to then”dark side” of mono-viewing! I have the 60mm4 and use the sdl3 zoom and the 23x 40831 fixed wide angle eyepiece alternately. I know others who use the hdf zoom just fine too. I swing between the no-hassle wide fixed views and the ability to zoom…. Depending on the mood, though I normally try to hate zooms!

Peter

I didn't really want it, but the seller refused to split a bundle of items!

I'll probably keep it in my office and take it up to the rooftop to check the progress of the peregrine pair near me. It'll also be useful to use when visiting my parents' place - I think my mother would enjoy having a closer look at cool birds (bee-eaters etc) on TV antennas and other perches.

Next time we meet, maybe you could bring your eyepieces (if I've not found one already)...

This was my first scope, paired with an SDLv2 eyepiece. IQ was very decent and it is now my "travelling" scope. I would try to get one of these or an HDF, which people claim its performance is similar.

I am also a binocs person (it frustrates me to have to carry the scope and tripod, etc) and got a scope for those moments when you need the reach. But earlier this year I had the change to get a high end Kowa...and omg...the views are just spectacular that I really miss it when I don't bring it!

A couple near me were selling an ed version of this scope....one of the things that put me off. - and there wasnt much - was the eyepieces were so small. The eyepiece/rubber end cap on my Celestron is a good 2" across even though the actual glass is probably only 3/4". Do Opticron do something similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back