• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Endemics of South Africa (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

I have been trying to get details of TRUE endemics of SA .. not Southern Africa ... and different resources suggest different birds and different numbers ... so the question is: what is the true and accurate number of Endemics of South Africa and who is the "authoritative" body on these things?

Also, I assume other endemics of SOUTHERN AFRICA would be so-called NEAR ENDEMICS of South Africa ... would that be correct to say?

Thanks
Victor

The Wheatley 'Where to watch birds in Africa', gives a list of each countries true endemics, it lists 34 for South Africa though it's only lists ten with the others being confusingly prefaced with...

'Species confined to SA which are more likely to be found in SA than Namibia, Botswana or Zimbabwe' so my guess would be that there are only the species listed below which are true endemics?

Southern Bald Ibis
Black Bustard (don't know what this refers to)
Ground Woodpecker
Two Rockjumpers
Bush Blackcap
Rudd's, Ferruginous, Botha's and Larg-billed Larks
Cape Sugarbird

I also know that the race of White-bellied Bustard here is sometime split as Barrows.

Shared species listed are.....

African Penguin
Black Harrier
Jackal Buzzard
Karoo Bustard
Southern Tchagra
Southern Boubou
Zululand Batis
Rudd's Apalis
Swee Waxbill

You'll have to check the modern taxonomy and names but try and find an IOC list for the country, it, numbers 18 endemics but I haven't got time to see what they are.

Last edited:
IOC list which oddly, does not include the Bald Ibis?

Forest Buzzard
Elgin Buzzard
Southern Black Korhaan
Hottentot Buttonquail
Knysna Woodpecker
Cape Parrot
Aguhlas Long-billed Lark
Karoo Lark
Red Lark
Rudd's Lark
Botha's Lark
Cape Bulbul
Victorin's Warbler
Knysna Warbler
Cape Sugarbird
Orange-breasted Sunbird
Cape Siskin
Protea Canary

Last edited:
You will need to decide which taxonomic authority you are going to follow (e.g. IOC, HBW, Clements), and decide whether you include Lesotho as "South Africa" (it's a separate nation but wholly surrounded by SA).

If you use the avibase website, you can select the taxonomy you want and create a list for South Africa. Endemics are highlighted. Just be aware that avibase is not 100% accurate, but it's a starting point.

Why isn't Southern Bald Ibis listed as an endemic on the IOC, it's only found in SA?

It also occurs in Lesotho, same with Drakensburg Rockjumper and Siskin.

I see you included Elgin Buzzard in your IOC list, but I wasn't aware this was recognised as taxonomically distinct, and can't see it on the IOC list?

It also occurs in Lesotho, same with Drakensburg Rockjumper and Siskin.

I see you included Elgin Buzzard in your IOC list, but I wasn't aware this was recognised as taxonomically distinct, and can't see it on the IOC list?

SA is very tricky in regard to Lesotho and Swaziland, I suppose you could describe a 'SA zone' which would include these countries but otherwise, I don't know how you'd address it, Lesotho and Swaziland (sorry, can't bring myself to call it eSwatini) may object?

I included the Buzzard because the IOC do, there is a note with it, 'undescribed'.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back