• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Craneflys / Daddy long legs (1 Viewer)

claire78

IS it just me or are the craneflies out at the wrong time of year? A couple of days ago I spotted one and have now seen two more today.
I Thought they came out in September time.

Have these emerged early or overwintered in the mild weather???

Claire
:h?:

Answered my own question by looking at the cranefly page on the RSPB website! :news:

Cranefly
Tipula paludosa

This slender, long-legged fly is grey-brown with dark brown leading edges to its wings. It looks like a giant mosquito, but is harmless. It is also known as a daddy longlegs.

The shape of the abdomen distinguishes the sexes: the male’s is square-ended, whereas the female’s is pointed with an ovipositor (egg laying structure). There are about 300 species in the British Isles – this is the commonest.

Craneflies are usually nocturnal and are often attracted to lights. Unfortunately their legs are only weakly attached to their bodies and often break off. The dull brown larvae, known as leatherjackets, are pests. They feed on plant roots, especially grasses, and can seriously damage crops.

What does it eat?
Adults rarely feed. Larvae live in the soil and eat roots. They also emerge at night to chew the bases of plant stems.

When will I see it?
Generally in the evening, at anytime of the year, but it is most common in the autumn.

Where will I see it?
Across the garden. It is often attracted to lights in the evening. Also in parks and grassland.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back