• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

College Lake Wildlife Centre (1 Viewer)

Regan

This is a site run by the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife Trust. However it is just in Buckinghamshire on the border with Hertfordshire, don't ask me how that works out! It is near the Tring reservoirs and consists of a large lake, wet meadow and marsh areas. There are also small woods and neighbouring arable farmland. It is not a large site but has a good number of hides.

As expected it attracts a good number of wildfow; mute swans, canada & greylag geese, mallards. teal, pochard, tufted duck, gadwall, wigeon, coot and moorhen were all present when I went. There was also a impressive list of birds seen there( far too many for me to type out), I also saw the sand martin nests ready for this years occupants to arrive.

The guy who put me on to it has also seen short-ear & little owl, peregrine falcon and osprey there.

Ihave only been once but will make it a regular haunt from now on. It is situated in Bulbourne to get there take the A41 by-pass towards Tring. Ignore the first turn off ( if heading North) and take the second to Tring. This puts you on the Bulbourne Road, just past the Wyevale garden centre, over the Canal Bridge about a quarter of a mile on the left. There is a £2 fee for non-wildlife trust members, there are information centres.

Went to it Monday and they are CLOSED Mondays. Doh!

Will be going back as it was recommended by another birder I met at Pagham on the weekend.

Also at Winslow plenty of Hobbys at the reed bed end/side of the reservoir according to a friend of mine who lives out that way.

obm

If you look across the lake from the carpark you will see a large hide sort of in a field on the hill. Thats the best place to see the birds of prey as they tend to land on the fence posts to scan the field. A great place and you can get a cup of tea and a bite to eat. I go there regular as its close to home. The BBOWT has a lot of great places but College Lake is the Flagship. Worth joining as it was only £30 for husband and wife. http://www.bbowt.org.uk/

or tomorrow sunday 4th november.

nowt to do at home so a day out watching birds, wildlife and drinking coffee would be good.

dave

Got here at last. Beautfiul site. Nice hides and not too busy. V cold tho and I could not stay long as my son had to go home early.

Well worth a visit and I am going back soon. Sorry, no details of birds seen, but was not there long enough.

dave

seen at college lake today 5 redshank few snipe,70+golden plover,kingfisher,linnet,reed bunting,house and sand martins,swallow, no ringed plover today though

If you are after news from bucks, try joining either the bucks bird or north bucks bird groups on yahoo, most news will then be delivered to your inbox.

Having said that, yesterday a great white egret was seen in filght over collage lake, heading north east after being seen at wilstone previously I believe. And a Hoopoe was reported at sherington, near Newport Pagnell, but could not be relocated.

If you are after news from bucks, try joining either the bucks bird or north bucks bird groups on yahoo, most news will then be delivered to your inbox.

Having said that, yesterday a great white egret was seen in filght over collage lake, heading north east after being seen at wilstone previously I believe. And a Hoopoe was reported at sherington, near Newport Pagnell, but could not be relocated.

Here are the links

[email protected]
[email protected]

Cheers

Simon

An update on this site.

I visited on a rainy sunday morning last week, first time there and it's great and a very pleasant walk. :t:
I believe the large new visitor centre opens this weekend so I will probably head back there tomorrow for another morning walk.

Details here: http://www.bbowt.org.uk/content.asp?did=23523

Being so close to the Grand Union canal and Tring Reservoirs (my usual walking area) it's now on the list for regular visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back