• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera mounted Mic choices ? (1 Viewer)

Bsmooth

Bruce
Looking to try recording some bird song with my camera with the mic attaching to the flash mount for power.
I ran across Bayou Josh's review of the Sony ECM-B10 here
Are there any better options that you have used ?

I don't have specific experience with any, but I'd be wary of handling noise. Any time you touch the camera, you're likely to hear it in the mic. Might be able to mitigate with a good shock/float mount and highly directional mic, but again, little to no experience in mounting to a camera hot shoe.

Those that typically have a mic on their camera are usually recording a subject immediately in front of them (e.g. news interview), whereas with birds your going to want every bit of gain you can get, but that means picking up every little sound the camera and the person holding the camera makes.

I've been using a Sony ECM-GZ1M on my RX10iv with good results. Like the above, it's powered from the dedicated flash mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back