• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget-friendly accommodation on the Napo (1 Viewer)

Jon Gallagher

For a long time I've been looking for alternatives to the wildly expensive lodges in the Rio Napo (see former thread: Rio Napo lodges)

While still not inexpensive, I'm just back from a stay at Kallary Kausay, simple accommodation that is more than adequate. It is just upstream from Sani Lodge and run by Wilson, who has just been elected head of the local indigenous community. He charged me as a single guest USD200 per night full board, including all excursions. I used Olger Licuy as a guide (USD80 per day). We had access to all the Sani land on both sides of the river, meaning we were able to go to many areas not used by the lodges. The accommodation is fine, with comfortable bed with mosquito net, shower (cold), electricity (by generator) and wifi (satellite link). The food was excellent. Wilson was also the boat pilot from Coca and back, taking about 3 hours each way. As I say, I was the only guest, but with a group I'm sure the cost per person would come down. Olger was an excellent guide who helped me find all my target birds, with just one being heard only.

Since Wilson doesn't speak English I would recommend getting in contact through Olger who's English is excellent. Message me for details (I don't post people's phone numbers on public forums! Olger uses WhatsApp and that would be the best way to reach him.)

For a long time I've been looking for alternatives to the wildly expensive lodges in the Rio Napo (see former thread: Rio Napo lodges)

While still not inexpensive, I'm just back from a stay at Kallary Kausay, simple accommodation that is more than adequate. It is just upstream from Sani Lodge and run by Wilson, who has just been elected head of the local indigenous community. He charged me as a single guest USD200 per night full board, including all excursions. I used Olger Licuy as a guide (USD80 per day). We had access to all the Sani land on both sides of the river, meaning we were able to go to many areas not used by the lodges. The accommodation is fine, with comfortable bed with mosquito net, shower (cold), electricity (by generator) and wifi (satellite link). The food was excellent. Wilson was also the boat pilot from Coca and back, taking about 3 hours each way. As I say, I was the only guest, but with a group I'm sure the cost per person would come down. Olger was an excellent guide who helped me find all my target birds, with just one being heard only.

Since Wilson doesn't speak English I would recommend getting in contact through Olger who's English is excellent. Message me for details (I don't post people's phone numbers on public forums! Olger uses WhatsApp and that would be the best way to reach him.)
we are interested in details! We are two women bird watchers and naturalists looking for something a bit out of the ordinary than a fancy expensive lodge. We aren't young but in good form! Could you tell us what dates and year you were there? Thanks.

we are interested in details! We are two women bird watchers and naturalists looking for something a bit out of the ordinary than a fancy expensive lodge. We aren't young but in good form! Could you tell us what dates and year you were there? Thanks.
Hi Kalliope,

OK a few more details. I was at Kallary Kausay on the Rio Napo from December 2-6, 2021. Weather was excellent throughout, just one brief but major downpour! I arranged the trip through Olger Licuy who is on WhatsApp (send me a PM for his phone number). He charged me USD80 per day for guiding, and he is a superb bird guide. Very organized, and found me everything on my list. He and Wilson (the lodge owner) had access to the Sani lands on both sides of the river, so very authentic forest birding away from the traditional lodges. Wilson charged me USD200 per night including three very good meals, catering well for this vegetarian. The fee also included all excursions, mainly by boat. The cost may come down for a group—I was the only person staying there.

Near the lodge they have sites for White-lored Antpitta, (down to 3 feet!), White-eared Jacamar, Purplish Jacamar, Scarlet-crowned Barbets, Dugand’s Antwren and many more. Three species of macaw were relatively common. A boat trip took us to a territory of Cocha Antshrikes with excellent views of both male and female. Other good birds found on both sides of the river were Salvin’s Curassow, Fulvous Antshrike, Lunulated Antbird, White-shouldered Antbird, Rio Suno Antbird, Brown Nunlet, Bright-rumped Attila, Ochre-striped Antpitta (heard only), Orange-crowned Manakin, Orange-eyed Flatbill, Lemon-throated Barbet, Olive-spotted Hummingbird, Casqued Seedeater, Ecuadorial Cacique, and more.

I can’t recommend the experience too highly—it was absolutely amazing. The lodge is rustic but the beds are good and have mosquito nets, electricity is available by generator, and there’s wifi too! To me it was better to be putting resources directly into the local community (Wilson was just elected head in his local area), and the birding was excellent and away from the usual spots. (Olger had permission to use the facilities at Sani Lodge but in the end we didn’t need to go there.)

Bear in mind the boat trip from and back to Coca will take around 3 hours. I paid both Olger and Wilson up front in cash (the latter so he could go around the markets in Coca and buy food/fresh produce.) This is not a large operation, but as a family-owned business it’s very worth supporting. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Best,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back