• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brecon beacons in April (1 Viewer)

dawny

I am fairly new to birding and would like to see some birds I'm unlikely to see in my home county of Essex. I will be going to the Brecon Beacons for a week in April (staying near Brecon)- does anyone know the best places to visit to see birds and what might be around at that time of year? I'd love to see a red kite and plan to go to one of the red kite centers - is there any difference between them?

Thanks

If your after a couple of beacon specials then being in the right place is rather important. I run the walks for the gwent ornithological society and we have a walk at Craig Cerrig Glisiad NNR near brecon to see Ring Ouzel, peregrine, raven and red kite. The walks on Sat 18th April so if you about then you are most welcome to come along. A good website to keep an eye on it www.brecknockbirds.co.uk which covers the brecon beacons. details of the walk are on www.gwentbirds.org.uk

As far as Kites go, Gigrin Farm is probably the best for shear numbers.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a trip to Gigrin - about an hour North from Brecon.

Once you've made it to the Beacons just keep looking upish and you'll see Kites! Luke knows the area much better than I and I'd recommend one of his walks if you are around for that weekend as you'll certainly benefit from some local knowledge.

Red Kites

I would also consider a visit to the Llanduesant Reeding station as it's not as far as Gigrin and to be honest you get quite close to the birds. I was there last Sunday with mikefromebbw and his daughter and on arrival the sky was full of them. They feed at 2pm same as Gigrin. There were between 60-100 Kites and a couple of buzzard n ravens too.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread Dawny!

I'm on holiday on the Monmouth & Brecon canal in June and wanted similar information. My husband & I would particularly like to visit one of the Red Kite feeding stations but aren't sure which is best, Llanduesant or Gigrin. The distance will be similar either way I think. Does one offer something the other doesn't? Can you get closer/better views at one? Is there much of a walk from car park to viewing?

As it's a fairly short stretch of water for our narrowboat trip we can moor up and spend time walking rather than boating all day. Are there any short-ish walks from the canal or any places we shouldn't miss, bearing in mind we shall be car-less? Are we likely to see many birds we don't in Cambs?
Would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks
Amelia

The walk sounds great but unfortunately I'll be back home by then.i will definately be taking your advice an keeping my eyes skywards - a peregrine would be a great bird to see and would even interest the husband who gets dragged along on my trips. Will dippers be around and if so where would be a good place to look?

Llanduesant is a good feeding station with great views. You also have the Usk reservoir nearby and in the surrounding woods there is always the chance of a sprawk or goshawk, and great for a picnic if the weathers good.

Clive

Thanks for your reply Clive. I realised afterwards I should have posted elsewhere and not crashed someone elses thread - sorry!

We shall be picking the narrowboat up in Llanfoist and travelling north to Brecon. The Red Kite feeding visit we intend to do either before we pick the boat up or after we've dropped it off depending on requirements of the boatyard - I understand the feeding times are 3pm in the summer. Just wasn't sure which site was best for watching and as far as facilities go (refreshments, loos etc).

Are we likely to see a Dipper anywhere along the Usk? Love all wildlife so hoping to see stoats, weasel, water vole etc as we have before on our boat trips elsewhere. Any Otters in the Usk??

Once again thanks.

Regards
Amelia

Dipper shouldnt be too difficult, just look at the faster, shallower areas. Also the River Gavenny through abergavenny usually has a few. There are Otters right the way along the usk and i dare say that there are some using the canal but they are very difficult to see!

Thanks Luke - I'm not sure if you were replying to me or Amelia but the info should be useful for both of us.
I'm looking forward to visiting your part of the country very much
Dawny

Thanks Luke. I didn't see Dipper in Ardnamurchan, Scotland last year although did manage Otter..........
fingers crossed for June!

Amelia

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back