• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in or near Bandung (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi to all,
I begin a new job in Bandung in late feb and was looking for tips on birding spots in or around the city. Any advice appreciated
Cheers

Hi Forthbirder,

Bandung is a very beautiful city. There are two parks in the city that can become a good place to start. The first is Taman Ganesha (Ganesha Park). It is a small park (about 9 hectare), but there are many beautiful birds to see there. It is quite easy to see Red-breasted Parakeet, Coppersmith Barbet, Scarlet-headed flowerpecker, Olive-backed tailorbird, Oriental Whiteeye, etc. If you are lucky, you might have a chance to see the Yellow-throated hanging Parrot! Taman Balaikota/Walikota is the other place. I think the birds are the same.

Around Bandung, you will have more choices. Bandung is surrounded by hills and mountains, and those places are the best places to find Javan endemics. You can go to Gede-Pangrango National Park (west), M. Panaruban (south Bandung), M. Tangkubanprahu (north), etc. I hope you will have a plenty of time :)

Cheers,
Imam T.

Thanks Imam,
I will definitely be visiting Gede-Parango, and will check out Mount Panaruban and Tangkubanprahu on the net. Are these places easy to reach by public transport?
I will be based in central Bandung, is the park Taman Ganesha close to the city centre?
I also saw a video for Dago waterfalls on you tube. Have you ever been birding there?
Thanks for your help,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Taman Ganesha is close enough from the city centre. It located in front of ITB (Institut Teknologi Bandung), the famoust university in Bandung, one of the best in Indonesia.

About Panaruban, sorry, I have to correct it because it actually located in Mount Tangkubanprahu. What I want to tell you about the mountain located in south Bandung is M. Patuha.

Yes, Panaruban can be reach by public transportation. From Bandung, it is about 2-3 times changing bus. Since I went there in 2007, I forgot for the route and have no update. But you can contact Bicons (Bird Conservation Society), the local birdwatcher club in Bandung. Here is the email: [email protected]. You can also check its web bicons.wordpress.com (in Indonesian) for contact person. You can ask anything to them, they are very experienced about birding in Bandung and the surrounding.

About Dago waterfalls, no, I have not birding there yet.

Cheers,
Imam

Thanks Imam,
I saw on youtube that Bicons hold Sunday morning birding meetings in Ganesha Park, so I think I will go along to one of them.
Cheers,
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back