• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hides reachable from Looe? (1 Viewer)

Nick1976

Hi folks, popping down to near East Looe at the weekend, are there any good birding spots with bird hides - good for a sit down and shelter in changeable weather! :D

ps don't want to drive too far, 30/40 minutes maybe? Thanks.

You can sit in your car in the layby overlooking Wacker Quay near Antony and see Spoonbill, Avocet and other ducks and waders. You can then drive to Marine Parade at Torpoint and sit in your car and see Mediterranean Gulls and lots of waders, grebes and ducks. I can't think of any bird hides near East Loe though. Roger

Nick1976 said:
LOL! thanks anyway Roger, if only our car had loo's too! LOL!

ps where's Wacker Quay?

Wacker Quay is the picnic area on the A374 mid way between Sheviock and Torpoint, about 1 mile past the village of Antony. The picnic area is signposted. I usually park in the layby which overlooks the River Lyner and scan from there but you can drive down the track to the old quay. The Spoonbill and Avocets favour the area across the other side of the water.
As you are staying in East Loe then Hannafore Point is worth a visit, no hides I am afraid but you can sit in your car and look at the sea shore and the sea around Loe Island-there is always something to see there. The bushes below the end of the road are a good spot for wintering Chiff Chaff. Public toilets there as well!!!. Roger

Hi Nick

Been scratching the old head trying to think of a comfortable bird hide near Looe!
Only thing I can think of Morwellham Quay. It has 2 bird hides - shown on the site map - use the link below to access details/location info. You should get there in your timescale and there are 'loos' too. There is an entry charge but you used to be able to visit the hides FREE! Not 100% sure they are fully open this time of year - the internet site will tell you.

http://www.morwellham-quay.co.uk/default.asp

Alternatively, you could try Plymouth seafront - the Hoe - all sorts of things can turn up here and across the other side of 'the Sound' is Mountbatten - pub and toilet(!) - useful 'odds and ends' turn up there on the beaches and sometimes in the higher, more bushy areas. Might get 'odd' ducks and gulls on the 'beaches' - low-tide is best!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back