• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltic pretender - Lincs 17/8 (1 Viewer)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
I know unringed adults are deemed undoable however this one i had recently on my local patch of River Trent must certainly be up in the strong contender stakes....

*very small and dainty size, elongated proportions.
*black mantle tone with an appreciable mahogany tint in the scope (not really visible in the pics).
*limited moult compared to other graellsii/intermedius present - P1 missing, P2 - P10 old.
*mirror confined to p10 only.
*lovely floppy tern like flight. very jizzy on deck and in flight.

A bit scruffy though, weeping left eye and missing upper tertials which could hint at some collision/trauma which may or may not be the reason it is migrating the wrong way (or the scenic route at least!)

Cheers
Dean

Attachments

• DSCN1658.JPG
    DSCN1658.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1662.JPG
    DSCN1662.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1667.JPG
    DSCN1667.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1673.JPG
    DSCN1673.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • missing p1 (late moult).JPG
    missing p1 (late moult).JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 28
  • missing p1.JPG
    missing p1.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1668.JPG
    DSCN1668.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back