• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avoid needing repairs! (1 Viewer)

I have a theory why Swarovski is now providing service with a delay.
As we all know, this company also produced binoculars for military use. It is possible in these "hard times" she received new military orders from different countries and therefore now she does not have time to work and arrange service.
Such a long-term software upgrade is not logical, it does not make sense. It is a company with a long tradition and excellent service. Why can't he solve such a simple problem now?
This is my theory.

Hi Bako,

As you’ll be aware while Austria is an EU member, it’s not a NATO member, and has a long standing official policy of neutrality.

Having said that, since February last year it has taken in around 90,000 temporarily displaced Ukrainians,
and also provided both humanitarian and non-lethal military assistance to Ukraine, including helmets.

- - - -
While I have seen some images of members of the Ukrainian forces with binoculars (mostly low cost generic Porro prism models),
much observation is done from the high vantage point - by the use of drones.
So transmitted opto-electronic live feeds; both during daylight, and at night using thermal cameras
(there's lots of drone videos of both day and night attacks on Russian vehicles and positions).

And until now most Ukrainian regular forces have only had the integral iron sights on their shoulder weapons.
However, they are starting to field both reflex (aka 'red dot') and conventional optical sights; both long standard with Ukrainian Special Forces
(along with thermal and image intensification technology for night use - again there's a lot of videos on-line).

- - - -
In terms of Swarovski Optik’s capabilities, besides it’s current optical offerings, it also has the ability to provide a variety of optical
and opto-electronic capabilities under the Swarotec brand, see: Home

So it's possible that Swarovski may be either directly or indirectly, providing various components or units,
taking into account both their capabilities and any Austrian government restrictions.

John

Last edited:
Of course, I did not want to say in my post that Austria or Swarovski is cooperate in the war in Ukraine. Definitely not. I just wanted to say that if a large order arrived with a short delivery date, then Swarovski would be quite busy.
Some countries have sent their (old) military equipment to the East and now those countries need to complete the missing supplies. Those orders can be like government contracts. For example The Slovak government can place a large order to Swarovski - this is a standard business matter.
But I didn't want a conversation about war into this post. Let's talk about binoculars :)

It is fascinating to read so many speculations and phantasies.
From respected Swarovski dealers I heard that the company had decided to completely renew its digital infrastucture and that has caused an immense amount of trouble, since the company that was responsible for this mega operation may have underestimated the complexity of this operation or it ran into not foreseen problems but certain is that it seems not be able to master this complex operation wihout delay and without a lot of trouble for the company.
Gijs van Ginkel

Whatever the reason, clearly Swarovski is taking a dent to its reputation - armour that numerous persons find degrades after a very short timespan, now service and provision of ordered items that takes weeks/months. Even a simple headrest is taking forever - I ordered in early December, still no sign of imminent arrival.

Hi Bako (post #24),

I agree.

My primary intention - by providing some context - was to make the point:
while many of us still tend to think of military optics as being glass and metal Porro devices (or glass and plastic ones with Steiner),
increasingly even at the squad level of operations, opto-electronics are becoming the primary tools.
(And then secondarily in relation to Swarovski: they do have opto-electronic capabilities, but there’s also Austria’s particular circumstances.)

John

p.s. Austria’s neighbour the Czech Republic is home to Meopta, who produce a full range of military grade opto-electronics,
see: Military applications | Meopta :: Better view of the world

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back