• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Zen Rays 8x43 ED's really that good? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Do all these Chinese binocuars really compare to the alpha binoculars? I have heard so much talk of how they are equal to Zeiss FL's, Leica and Swarovski EL's and Nikon LXL's and SE's. I mean the Zen Ray 8x43 ED, Hawke Frontier,etc. Do they really measure up to the top binoculars. What's your opinon. Thanks!

Dennis

Last edited:
50-some reads and not a single response. Interesting. I wish I could see who read the thread and didn't respond. ;)

My take, they (collectively) have the sharpness, lack of color fringing, brightness and wide field of view (better than the Alphas in this last regard) of the high end Alpha binoculars. I have never been able to say that about any of the other "contenders" in the past. They were always lacking in one of those key areas.

Contrast is reasonably comparable depending on which Alphas you are comparing them to. Physical size is right there with the Zeiss FL and Swaro EL...and the weight is in the same ballpark as well.

Overall build quality and fit and finish on the Zen Rays that I have in my possession is very good. There are a few points I would like to see improvement on...and I commented on that in my original thread as well as to Zen Ray. On that issue I cannot wait to see what the eventual revised version looks/performs like.

In my opinion though it all comes down to the optics. I don't have any of the Alpha binoculars anymore. I am not a hardcore birder or a hunting guide or involved in some other profession that requires the most expensive binoculars commonly made. I casually bird and hunt a few months out of every year. I sit on my back deck or look out the back window of my home just about every day of the year.....whether it is at deer or turkey in the back field or Snow Geese flying overhead. I also spend a great deal of time up at the local hawkwatch watching raptors for several months with some very knowledgable folks. I am very picky with my optics and strongly prefer binoculars that perform at a very high level. After having owned many of the Alpha binoculars in recent years I eventually decided that I am content with binoculars that perform at Steve's 99 1/3rd % criteria (99 percent of the Alphas' optical performance but 1/3rd the price).....though I think Steve is going to have to revise that as these bins are less than 1/3rd the price of the Alphas.

In my opinion, the Zen Ray EDs are more than satisfactory for any of the applications that I mentioned. For the $350-$400 that these are selling for I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better binocular.

Dennis,

I would offer some friendly advice. If you decide to order a pair of these then I woulud kindly ask that you approach them with an open mind. Don't look for them to "outperform" your Nikon SEs or even your Leica Trinovids. What I would ask is that you look at them as a unique binocular with its own set of positives and negatives. Leave the Nikons and the Leicas at home and just use the Zen Ray EDs for a week or two...by themselves. After you are done experimenting with them for a time then go back and consider what you paid for them.

Are they worth the $350-$400 that they are selling them for?

I was one of the readers, but have been reading it at work! I am certainly one of the lesser experienced people on this forum, but I really like them and I do think they are worth what I paid for them. I have the Promasters (10x) and the Zen-Ray ED's (8x),both of which I enjoy and do not regret purchasing. I definitely think they are worth your consideration! I will have to say, also, that the ZR reps give "alpha" service to their customers from what I have seen so far. They are very responsive to emails and seem very interested in giving 100% to their budding customer base. I am with bcl05 on using the extra $ on a scope, more guides or a trip...like to the Texas coast for migration!!!

Last edited:
I am new to birding and bought these recently. If fell for birding last summer, but only had an old falling-apart Wal-Mart pair of bins. I saved up ~$1000 for a real pair and spent a long time shopping around. I tried everything I could get my hands on that was less than 1k (so basically no alphas) and was desperately trying to decide between a Vortex Razor and a Meopta 8x42 when the "chinese EDs" started showing up on this and related websites. Intrigued, but not trusting, I decided to spend $100 on 6x30 Leupold Yosemites and wait a while. The Yosemites are great - incredible field of view, very sharp through a reasonalby big sweet spot, and I like the relatively low magnification for woodland and backyard birds (most of what I do.)

Eventually, though, I wanted another pair so I could go out with my wife and kids and not be passing a single good pair back and forth. I couldn't decide between the Promaster and Hawkes, and then the ZRs came out. The price was lower, and people who seemed to know what they were talking about said they were a further evolution of the same basic model.

I ordered them and got them in a few days shortly after New Years. I couldn't be happier. The FOV is bigger than any other binocular I've seen. The brightness and color in very early morning shady forests is remarkable (to me).

Now, I haven't compared them to the Alphas, but I can't imagine that the view through those is so much better that they'd be worth 5x more money. The combo of the Yosemite 6x30 and ZR ED 8x43 is terrific, and has left me ~$500 from my original budget to put towards a scope...

So, short version is that I can't really say how the compare to the most expensive of the ALphas, but I am completely and totally satisfied with my pair and can't imagine spending ~$2k on binoculars. If I had the same decision to make and a bigger budget, I think I'd end up with the same pair of binoculars and a bigger collection of field guides and maybe a nice trip...

Dennis
..The Zen are really good binoculars.
Are they really that good?..i think they are..I was "WOOOWED" out of my shoes using the binoculars the first few days..In terms of resolution,they are sharper than anything i have used,including the SE...They bring detail In, that i can usually only pick through my scope,of course in a smaller image,..But I have not seen such fine detail at 8x ,not with the SE,not with the Audubon 820.

After the "honeymoon" period,i got a bit concern with overall contrast.:-C,but as others have already mentioned ,the binoculars have such a great view,that is easy to compromise with whatever drawback they can have
I was birding in the river a few days ago and still thinking about this ,when this other birder shows up and points to a peregrine falcon...incidentally this lady was carrying a pair of 8.5x42 Swarovski's...so i ask her if i could take a look to check the excellence of the view..she was very nice and allowed me to look at the peregrine and take a look around.I kept the zen inside my jacket because i didnt want to mention that i WAS COMPARING the binoculars;)although it would have been interesting to see what she thought about the zen...
All i can see is that the overall contrast was about the same!,although the Swaros seemed to keep reflections limited to a VERY small crescent where the ZEN showed a little more expanded reflection..I am not going to even mention how other aspects of the image seemed to compare;)

The combo of the Yosemite 6x30 and ZR ED 8x43 is terrific, and has left me ~$500 from my original budget to put towards a scope...

Not to get totally off track but check out the "No name-unbadged" thread in the main forum of the spotting scope section of this website. I just picked up this scope for $200 from EO and I continue to be impressed by its performance for the price. I was just using it yesterday to ID neck bands on Snow Geese at a good 200-250 yards and had no problem reading the numbers at the full 60x magnification. Yes, there is color fringing but not to the point where it took away from the usefulness of the scope at the highest magnificaton.

;)

Last edited:
I think they are worth what they sell for, even if they all spontaneously combust 5 years later. ;)

After reading a lot of Tero's posts over the last 3 1/2 years:smoke: and he seems really picky;) for him to say this makes me want to buy one of the Zen Rays. I did have a chance to check out a Promaster thanks to Surveyor and liked it a lot.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• Nikon LX and Promaster 11-27-08 040 (Small).jpg
    Nikon LX and Promaster 11-27-08 040 (Small).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 560
After reading a lot of Tero's posts over the last 3 1/2 years:smoke: and he seems really picky;) for him to say this makes me want to buy one of the Zen Rays. I did have a chance to check out a Promaster thanks to Surveyor and liked it a lot.
Regards,Steve

All right enough! I couldn't stand it! I ordered a pair of Zen Ray 8x43 ED's on Friday and they shipped USPS Priority mail on Saturday for $360.00 with free shipping which is pretty amazing. Customer service appears to be awesome! If these Chinese binoculars are 99% as good as the "Big Three" they are going to put a major dent in their sales. Competition is good though Swarovski has long been charging too much for their binoculars and their crystals (my wife makes jewelry) even though I admit they are high quality. There will always be people willing to pay alot for what they consider the best though. Just look at Astrophysics telescopes. People pay princely sums for those and wait 5 YEARS to get them! The Chinese with their lower labor cost can make and manufacture high quality merchandise. Thing is their wages have been going up lately so it makes you wonder how long that will last.
My present binoculars are Nikon 8x32 LXL, Leica 7x42 BN, Nikon 8x32 SE, and Canon 8x36 IS II. So eventually I will have to compare the Zen Ray to these. I have also had alot of other binoculars so I will of course express my opinion. This forum is an excellent source of information on binoculars and birding.

Dennis

Last edited:
I almost got the ED's as well but, opted for the 8x32 SE Nikon. That one will arrive Thursday, figured I better get one before they are all GONE! Still curious about the Zen? I have purchased other optics, sight unseen from recommendations on this forum and have not regretted the purchase. Still, my curiosity is getting the better of me!!! I go to Zen's website 2-3 times a day!!! I'm in DEEEEP!!! Bryce...

I almost got the ED's as well but, opted for the 8x32 SE Nikon. That one will arrive Thursday, figured I better get one before they are all GONE! Still curious about the Zen? I have purchased other optics, sight unseen from recommendations on this forum and have not regretted the purchase. Still, my curiosity is getting the better of me!!! I go to Zen's website 2-3 times a day!!! I'm in DEEEEP!!! Bryce...

Good decision on the Nikon 8x32 SE's! They are the best optically binoculars I have ever seen. Absolutely fantastic. Birds and wildlife are just awesome through them. They have that little edge over even the Alpha roofs. Little bit sharper and that 3D effect just puts them at the top. Get the Bushmaster objective covers from Eagle optics. They work quite well. I got them for mine and they are very nice. They fit tight but that's how they are.

Dennis

Last edited:
I totally agree with everyone else here. The ZEN is a really good product with outstanding optical quality. The craftsmanship of this can match with my other alpha and beta collections. Like another member said, you should keep an open mind. Don't expect ZEN to be the magic binoculars to cure all of our lament over other binoculars for lacking one feature or another. From my experience, it has a very balanced design and excels in many ways.

Just compare it to monarch and decide whether it is worth spending extra $50 on ZEN. Then, compare it to any Alpha binoculars and decide whether you want to spend another grand.

Bryce,

All I have to say is....

..." 30 day-money back guarantee".....

;)

On another note, a little birdie mentioned something to me that I may need further clarification on with the Zen EDs. If it is true across the board then they may have just increased the level of customer service beyond anything I have heard of from any other company.

More to follow.....

Ah, what could it hurt? ....and forgot about the little birdie comment. That was a misunderstanding on my part.

I haven't tried them yet myself, but I'm confident from what everyone else has reported that the Zen-Ray 8x43 ED is an excellent bino. A friend of mine, who has picky tastes in optics but who is always looking for a bargain tried them recently on my recommendation and he loves them in comparison to the Stokes DLS, Vortex Viper and Vortex Razor (all of which he now considers obsolete in the mid-priced 8x category). So the Zen-Ray ED is a great bino, and certainly a great bino for the price. But who will answer Dennis' original question? Are these binos so good that a person who wants the best birding bino regardless of price should consider them? I know the alphas very well and how they differ from one another optically and mechanically, and decent reviews describing these differences are readily available on Birdforum and elsewhere. I'd like to see a thorough comparative review of the Zen-Ray ED (and Promaster etc) with the alphas.

--AP

I haven't tried them yet myself, but I'm confident from what everyone else has reported that the Zen-Ray 8x43 ED is an excellent bino. A friend of mine, who has picky tastes in optics but who is always looking for a bargain tried them recently on my recommendation and he loves them in comparison to the Stokes DLS, Vortex Viper and Vortex Razor (all of which he now considers obsolete in the mid-priced 8x category). So the Zen-Ray ED is a great bino, and certainly a great bino for the price. But who will answer Dennis' original question? Are these binos so good that a person who wants the best birding bino regardless of price should consider them? I know the alphas very well and how they differ from one another optically and mechanically, and decent reviews describing these differences are readily available on Birdforum and elsewhere. I'd like to see a thorough comparative review of the Zen-Ray ED (and Promaster etc) with the alphas.

--AP

I think Kevin is the most qualified person to comment on this as I know he has three high end Zeiss and the Nikon SEs at the moment.

All I can say is that I agree with your comment about how all of the Alphas differ from on another in the variety of optical and ergonomic categories. I will also say this though, I do believe the Zen Rays are sharper than at least one of the "Big Three" and they certainly control color fringing better than two of the big three (not counting the newer HD models of two of them as I have yet try them). Both of those comments I have no doubt about. Throw in the fact they have a wider field of view and I believe you could put them in the same category.

That is optics though. Ergonomics are just as good depending on what you prefer. Build quality and overall fit and finish is very good on my unit. In this area I think there could be one or two small improvements to really "tighten them up" to Alpha class level. I know these issues are being addressed at the factory level.

Once that is addressed then, yes, I would call them Alpha quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back