• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aquila barthelemyi Jaubert, 1852 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Aquila barthelemyi Jaubert, 1852 OD sér.2:t.4 (1852) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Christophe Jérôme Barthélemy-Lapommeraye (1797-1869) French zoologist, Director of Marseille Natural History Mus. (syn. Aquila chrysaetos).

As they published together no doubt the correct guy Richesses ornithologiques du Midi de la France, ou Description méthodique de tous les oiseaux observés en Provence et dans les départements circonvoisins

Probably also for him Conus barthelemyi Bernardi, 1861 t.9=ser.3:t.1 (1861) - Journal de conchyliologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library (of course not a bird).

Christophe-Jérôme Barthélemy-Lapommeraye — Wikipédia gives the birth as 13 april 1796 à Marseille . Same as BnF Catalogue général . I did not find him yet in Archive en ligne but assume there his birth should be 4 Germinal IV. It may take some time to find the record.

At that date seems 201 E 3297 - 1792-1802 - 1792-1802 p. 24 of 41 a Anne Adelaide Barthélemy born. From filae I would tend that he was born 1797.

Last edited:
Quick one (even if he's not included in my MS) ...

The/'His' Museum Muséum d’histoire naturelle de Marseille/Natural History Museum (MHNM) Palais Longchamp, writes the following [my blue]:
Les collections de Zoologie (83.660 spésimens)
[...]
Les poissons, reptiles, oiseaux, petits mammifères, en os, plumes, poils, écailles, alcool représentent quelque 12 000 spécimens, dont la fameuse collection Jaubert du début du XIXème, utilisée par Barthélemy de la Pommeraye, pour son ouvrage «Ornithologie de Provence», ...

[here]​
Alt. (in English) from here:
Zoology collections
(83.660 specimens)
[...]
Fish, reptiles, birds, small mammals, in bone, feathers, hair, scales, alcohol represent some 12 specimens, including the famous Jaubert collection from the beginning of the 000th century, used by Barthélemy de la Pommeraye, for his work "Ornithologie de Provence », ...

Also see here:
C’est à Barthélemy-Pommeraye lorsqu’il était directeur du Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle de Marseille que l’on doit l’idée de créer un zoo dans la ville. ...

Or here:
Barthélemy Lapommeraye, Christophe-Jérôme (1796-1869 ; naturaliste)

... and elsewhere.

Which version of his Family/Surname; Barthélemy-Lapommeraye (with or without hyphen) versus Barthélemy de la Pommeraye, is the correct one is unknown to me. Different versions seems to be used in several (many, many) texts. Nor do I know his true Birth year.

Just some quick observations (for whatever it's worth) ... :rolleyes:

/B

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back